News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

If the bid is successful and both Edmonton and Calgary host the 2030 Commonwealth Games, it makes EllisDon’s Prairie Link High-Speed Rail project even more likely to happen than it already was.

Funny that the announcement was made in Calgary and not co-announcements made in Edmonton and Calgary, given that, well you know, its being hosted by both cities. Of course the de facto capital of Alberta gets the announcement.

Funny that the announcement was made in Calgary and not co-announcements made in Edmonton and Calgary, given that, well you know, its being hosted by both cities. Of course the de facto capital of Alberta gets the announcement.
I'm not much of a fan of these joint city events. It makes it so spread out and logistically challenging.

I get that winter Olympics require mountains, so that requires a location that may be a bit away from the host city, but this is a summer event.

Edmonton has many facilities and could host again with some upgrades. Calgary needs more facilities, but maybe the province doesn't want to pay for too much.

This seems like a compromise forced on the cities by a province trying to cheap out.

Calgary is that much more prominent. And that's ok!
Yet interestingly, it was Edmonton that actually hosted the Commonwealth Games previously. I don't think it has much to do with prominence, just a half baked idea to save money on facilities. For a such supposedly rich province (or is that just until after the election?), Alberta can be both dumb and cheap.

My pessimistic view is Edmonton is being brought in to make it more palatable with respect to provincial support and because of the stadium with the track. Calgary will probably get some nice new facilities and Edmonton might get some money for Commonwealth which is great but I start to wonder if that is best use of our facility bucks. Heck of a facility for the one off events but at this point might not be what is needed for the everyday tenants.

My pessimistic view is Edmonton is being brought in to make it more palatable with respect to provincial support and because of the stadium with the track. Calgary will probably get some nice new facilities and Edmonton might get some money for Commonwealth which is great but I start to wonder if that is best use of our facility bucks. Heck of a facility for the one off events but at this point might not be what is needed for the everyday tenants.
Sounds about right, the "prominence" is political. The province wants a way to add some nice new facilities in Calgary, but don't want to go as far as a new stadium (the cheap out part).

So Calgary will be sold that they are getting some new facilities and a big part of a prominent event. They will be given the impression they are the horses head and Edmonton will be the horses behind. I have been around here a long time and my bs meter is going off big time on this one.

The prominence is $ related. This happens all over the world (not just in Alberta). Vancouver is Montreal's equal these days - which is a little ridiculous considering the very large size difference. Swiss cities smaller than Winnipeg are a known quantity all over the planet. African cities larger than New York are relatively unknown.

Calgary is very slightly more economically and culturally prominent. That is fine.

If the main criteria for hosting the Commonwealth Games was being a regional business centre, then I suppose Calgary is prominent enough. However we are not talking about the summer olympics here, this is not this level/type of event that tends to go to major world cities with over 5 or 10 million people.

Vancouver is prominent for other reasons because of its location, geography climate, proximity to Asia. If you are in the francophone world (some commonwealth countries are) Montreal may be far more prominent to them than Vancouver.

Cities have a variety of aspects and it is simplistic and I feel not accurate to divide them into arbitrary categories of prominent or not and only the prominent ones are worthy of events.

If we're going to host it and have a whole bunch of money going into facilities built or upgraded I'd rather it be held in one city, and that one city be Edmonton almost exclusively because I live here and not Calgary.
We also have more existing facilities from having hosted it before, so cost wise it would make more sense.

It probably is a better experience for the athletes and visitors to have the event focused on one place, easier to coordinate and more efficient cost wise too.

Back