drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
The owners want to know if the city will allow mix use including residental since this not currently allow by the city and the region.

An air quality study has to be taken at the cost of Slate Asset Management LP, Metrolinx, RioCan and others who may want to take part in redevelopment of Clarkson GO Station, Village of Clarkson and surrounding area. A 6 month test frame is require to help City Staff to determine if this can proceed using a minimum of 150 residental and employment per ha since this is currently employment land. Would add 6,000 to the area

3 options for the area

Option 1 ‘Uniform or Balanced approach’ - Density distribution visualized mid-rise buildings ranging from three to ten storeys, proposed on all potential development sites in the boundary area.

Option 2 ‘Transitional approach’ – Density distribution visualized tallest buildings ranging from 12 to 16 storeys on potential sites closest to the GO station, with heights transitioning down to mid-rise and low-rise buildings ranging from three to eight storeys to relate with the height and character of the surrounding area and existing neighbourhoods towards the edge of the boundary area.

Option 3 ‘Central approach’ – Density distribution visualized majority of the redevelopment as high-rise buildings ranging from 26 to 40 storeys on a limited number of redevelopment sites located adjacent the GO station.

clarksongo_render_3_1.jpg

clarksongo_render_2_002.jpg

The towers are forgettable, but I totally appreciate the idea of the podiums............just lets kill the podium balconies please, they don't work.

Also...

MODS

Am I missing it, cause I don't see a pin on the map for this one?

I know I have a better shot somewhere but this one from Dec31,2021 will have to do for now.
1673472601742.jpeg

Downtown Toronto could benefit from some industrial brick podiums like this.

No goofy cantilevers, exposed concrete columns, jenga blocks, staggered windows, etc. Just solid brick streetwall.

Downtown Toronto could benefit from some industrial brick podiums like this.

No goofy cantilevers, exposed concrete columns, jenga blocks, staggered windows, etc. Just solid brick streetwall.
I posted this comment about the proposal over at SSP:

"Big changes for a parking lot wasteland in Oakville.

Some may not like it but I’m a big fan of the muscular warehouse aesthetic of the podiums (though there’s little architectural references on the site).

Wouldn’t mind something like this from the Slate and Gensler team for downtown where the warehouse-podium design idea makes more sense… and has already been introduced beautifully by CentreCourt with their 55 Mercer development."

55 Mercer
oTIMsrcIZ9.jpeg
AlbertC

The brick and glass aesthetic is really nice, and somewhat reminiscent of some parts of Old Toronto, which is a nice way to reclaim that heritage. However, locals are devastated as they are not planning to build enough parking for residents (meaning 260 residential units will not have a parking), the edifice is way too tall, it eliminates several valuable industrial and cultural buildings (mechanics' shops and garages, Scooter's Roller Palace), thus removing those services, jobs, and cultural activities from the community.

The brick and glass aesthetic is really nice, and somewhat reminiscent of some parts of Old Toronto, which is a nice way to reclaim that heritage. However, locals are devastated as they are not planning to build enough parking for residents (meaning 260 residential units will not have a parking), the edifice is way too tall, it eliminates several valuable industrial and cultural buildings (mechanics' shops and garages, Scooter's Roller Palace), thus removing those services, jobs, and cultural activities from the community.
Scooters roller palace = cultural activities. Let just bulldoze the green belt to save these irreplaceable heritage sites.

Last edited:

Back