* note I just did the property measurements, to get to 0.43acres, this assembly must included 133 John, extending it south to Nelson)

(Site Aerial, s/e corner of John and Richmond: (source TO Maps)
1606849120162.png

John Street frontage: (source Streetview)

1606849854485.png

Richmond frontage: (source Streetview)

1606849252695.png

Site size:

Frontage ~31M on Richmond

Frontage ~58M on John

Attachments

• 1606849205409.png
    1606849205409.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 203
Last edited:
Looks like another facadism project incoming since only the north and the west facades are considered heritage. .

1606849459491.png

Note: The south side elevation adjoins the neighbouring building. No heritage attributes are identified on the rear (east) elevation, which is viewed from Richmond Street West.

Source: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2017/pb/bgrd/backgroundfile-109198.pdf

* note I just did the property measurements, to get to 0.43acres, this assembly must included 133 John, extending it south to Nelson)

Correct, it is the entire north to south frontage on that block along John. It was all owned by Camwood. The last sale was 11 mill for the southern chunk only, so the appreciation is telling.

Every time I've walked past this block I've been surprised that there hasn't been a highrise proposal yet. Here we go. So, what's worth saving here?

Yeah, this block has been one of the more inevitable redevelopment candidates for some time now. Considering this is a Tridel project, just hope they bring a better effort here. Their best looking work downtown remains SQ1 & 2, IMO.

What should happen now is that Tridel should be in talks w/the City, considering the City's ambitious plans for 229 Richmond W. (the parking lot immediately adjacent) as well as the current Fire Hall just to the south of that.

The best laid out plan would see optimization of park space and building layout, between all 3 parcels.

It would allow for a mid-block pedestrian connection btw Richmond and Adelaide here; for a quality public realm along Nelson Street.

Finally, depending on where the park is situated, it could allow for restaurant patios that overlook/are adjacent to said green space, providing enhanced animation.

To reference the applicable development of the City lands, see this article: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/rea...a-more-holistic-approach-to-land-and-housing/

Note that in the 229 Richmond thread, I posted that the City is currently tendering the architecture/engineering for the shift of the Fire Hall to the Metro Hall site, so the process is afoot!

Last edited:
For a moment there I was hoping that was the Hooters place...

Without tourists and sporting events, wonder if they'll be able to hang on.
I wish not for that kind of demise, as that would effect everyone else around there. Rather, some developer offer enough sum of cash for their property that the owners would grab at that, over their arm folding Libertarian right to keep such a skeezy place open. Effectively closing the establishment and the building down for good.

I wish not for that kind of demise, as that would effect everyone else around there. Rather, some developer offer enough sum of cash for their property that the owners would grab at that, over their arm folding Libertarian right to keep such a skeezy place open. Effectively closing the establishment and the building down for good.

I've never patronized the place; and wouldn't mind seeing it go, if only for the sake of removing a one-storey building of no particular value from a redeveloping 'hood.

But is it really skeezy?

Let's be honest, it essentially sells 'sexy service', largely with an eye to attracting straight-male customers.

Personally, I dine out to enjoy the food and the ambiance; and not the view of the wait staff at said establishment.

But it's not like they're the only place in town that does that; they're just a tad more overt and kitsch in their marketing of same, in the establishment name and uniform.

I'm not speaking here of 'adult entertainment' but rather.....a place like Joeys (or a few dozen others) that have been known to hire model types; and whose dress codes generally leaned toward marketing sex(iness).

ie. short hem lines, low necklines, tight-fitting clothes etc.

It's not my thing; ( I happily enjoy the company of women, including many who dress in a way that flatters them; and may cause me to do the same, LOL) ...........but I do find it rather ridiculous in dining establishments.

Be that as it may, I'm not sure Hooters is any worse; which doesn't make it worth patronizing; nor sparing from redevelopment (good riddance, the same way I'd feel about a McDs being expunged).....

I've never patronized the place; and wouldn't mind seeing it go, if only for the sake of removing a one-storey building of no particular value from a redeveloping 'hood.

But is it really skeezy?

Let's be honest, it essentially sells 'sexy service', largely with an eye to attracting straight-male customers.

Personally, I dine out to enjoy the food and the ambiance; and not the view of the wait staff at said establishment.

But it's not like they're the only place in town that does that; they're just a tad more overt and kitsch in their marketing of same, in the establishment name and uniform.

I'm not speaking here of 'adult entertainment' but rather.....a place like Joeys (or a few dozen others) that have been known to hire model types; and whose dress codes generally leaned toward marketing sex(iness).

ie. short hem lines, low necklines, tight-fitting clothes etc.

It's not my thing; ( I happily enjoy the company of women, including many who dress in a way that flatters them; and may cause me to do the same, LOL) ...........but I do find it rather ridiculous in dining establishments.

Be that as it may, I'm not sure Hooters is any worse; which doesn't make it worth patronizing; nor sparing from redevelopment (good riddance, the same way I'd feel about a McDs being expunged).....
With the danger of running off-topic than it already is, I try to keep my reply as brief as possible...as we are clearly dealing with the complexity of the issues here.

...but of course there are others, which I'll gladly brandish with the same brush. That is, the issue of requiring the staff to more than just serve the burgers if they want to keep their jobs. Thus skeezy, IMO.

It's that individual self-sexual expression that is sacrificed at the sole expression of the owners. And I have an issue with the dubious ethics over that. Which to me also begs the questions: Is the staff there to server burgers or their bodies. Sure you can have both, if all parties are into that thing. I'm just not sure everyone working there is into that thing willingly. So it seems to me this is a few steps below removed from working at McDonalds, to put it mildly...which has its own issues to begin with. But I digress...

...in the end, it's not the place I thought that would be replaced regardless of my reasons for thinking that. Better luck next time I guess. >.<

Back