AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
Some history of the former Peacock Hotel in the Junction area:

The building suffered extensive fire damage last year in May 2019 and is now being demolished altogether. No plans for the site have been revealed yet.

Aug 22, 2020

20200822_082356.jpg
20200822_082418.jpg

I still think what Hullmark did at 619 Queen West, the site of the Great Fire years ago, was an interesting concept that paid tribute to the previous building that burnt down.

But for here, yeah rebuilding the facade of the Peacock Hotel should be the bare minimum requirement. To go along with whether they plan on any additional intensification beyond the original 3 storeys.

I still think what Hullmark did at 619 Queen West, the site of the Great Fire years ago, was an interesting concept that paid tribute to the previous building that burnt down.

But for here, yeah rebuilding the facade of the Peacock Hotel should be the bare minimum requirement. To go along with whether they plan on any additional intensification beyond the original 3 storeys.

I think in exchange for rebuilding the facade accurately, the city should allow more height than would normally be permitted at this location.

Just terrible. I really hope that Gairloch jumps on this. They "get it".

I'm interested in knowing the history about the very old brick foundations/walls kept in the empty lot on either side that they've dug out. Seems they've kept them in place for a reason? Maybe Archaeological reasons?

Related as I looked at the Priestly demo photos in this thread. Sad btw....They are demolishing a bit of the block at Dundas and Pacific on the North side of Dundas W for an 8 story condo. Here we go folks. *sigh*

Agreed. And the lots up Keele, North of Dundas on the West side including one where the Hotel was.

Back