innsertnamehere

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto

This is just north of Dundas on Trafalgar. Big building for what is essentially farmers fields.

3064 trafalgar.png

Right next to a bean field too from what I am Google Map seeing.
When I was growing up in cosmopolitan Etobicoke, we called the Square One area Downtown-in-the-Fields, as it was also a total outlier. It never had anything as high as 30 storeys though, so times have upped the ante!

I feel somewhat mixed about this.

While I certainly prefer the above to seeing more typical sprawl......

I also think of all the wasted land in Oakville that could be redeveloped like this; and we could leave the fields/farms/nature alone.

Trafalger going north from the QEW is largely one giant opportunity to rethink everything.

Its hardly alone in Oakville.

Just by focusing on 3-4 major roads and re-doing what directly abuts them; you could add 150,000 people to Oakville.

So while I appreciate a less sprawly proposal; it still serves to stretch the urban area ever further and damage more nature/farmland.

North Oakville (all the subdivisions north of Dundas) is about as good as it gets in terms of new construction greenfield. Very, very dense stuff. The residential streets use 16m right of ways, smaller than even Toronto streets, with minimal front, rear, and side yards. They stuff the single detached units in there. Lots of townhouses too, and every neighbourhood has a little "main street" with local retail.

Now Oakville Transit just desperately needs to upgrade transit frequencies. Dundas is line with mid-rise condo developments, but the bus frequency is only bi-hourly. It needs 10 minute frequencies minimum, with connections into Mississauga and to the GO Station.

They are widening Trafalgar right now to add bus lanes / HOVs, which is good.

I understand that the loss of greenfield is unfortunate, but this land was already slated for development, and at least this is dense.

The suburban big box store and parking lot areas to the south of Dundas are and will continue to receive similar development pressure. If anything, projects like this set higher density precedent for Oakville, that can be used as reference as development pressure continues in areas closer to existing single-detached houses.

I understand that the loss of greenfield is unfortunate, but this land was already slated for development, and at least this is dense.

The suburban big box store and parking lot areas to the south of Dundas are and will continue to receive similar development pressure. If anything, projects like this set higher density precedent for Oakville, that can be used as reference as development pressure continues in areas closer to existing single-detached houses.
Smartcentre owns most of those plazas and is already planning redevelopment, so hopefully they won't be around forever.

North Oakville (all the subdivisions north of Dundas) is about as good as it gets in terms of new construction greenfield. Very, very dense stuff. The residential streets use 16m right of ways, smaller than even Toronto streets, with minimal front, rear, and side yards. They stuff the single detached units in there. Lots of townhouses too, and every neighbourhood has a little "main street" with local retail.

Now Oakville Transit just desperately needs to upgrade transit frequencies. Dundas is line with mid-rise condo developments, but the bus frequency is only bi-hourly. It needs 10 minute frequencies minimum, with connections into Mississauga and to the GO Station.

They are widening Trafalgar right now to add bus lanes / HOVs, which is good.
Quarter-hourly bus service will be what to aim for, and I would expect service coming every 20 minutes to precede that. There's no way they'll jump to 10-minute service in the near term.

Otherwise, yes, Oakville is doing well with the density in their greenfield build sites.

Love the first rendering photo up above wish they could design buildings like this in downtown Toronto. The nice crown on the two buildings really make the development!

I feel somewhat mixed about this.

While I certainly prefer the above to seeing more typical sprawl......

I also think of all the wasted land in Oakville that could be redeveloped like this; and we could leave the fields/farms/nature alone.

Trafalger going north from the QEW is largely one giant opportunity to rethink everything.

Its hardly alone in Oakville.

Just by focusing on 3-4 major roads and re-doing what directly abuts them; you could add 150,000 people to Oakville.

So while I appreciate a less sprawly proposal; it still serves to stretch the urban area ever further and damage more nature/farmland.

Given that Dundas is expected to be developed into a rapid transit corridor, I think development along the north side of Dundas can be allowed, but not too far north. There is lots of potential to intensify south of Dundas.

Back