One last one today - the craziest one in Hamilton, possibly the craziest development in the province.

Stoney Creek back in the 1970's apparently zoned this site with no height or density restrictions, thinking that a developer would build an apartment block similar to the 14 storey buildings to the north along Lake Ontario.

Instead, the site sat empty until a few years ago when New Horizon purchased it, and decided to take advantage of the literally unlimited density permissions.

The result? three towers of 50+ storeys, the tallest buildings in Hamilton, 1,845 units, and a whopping 2,445 parking spaces. As. Of. Right. On the side of the QEW in suburban Stoney Creek.

Local councillors and residents are understandably... not pleased.

The site today:

The Site Plan application was undelegated and the developer has been negotiating with the city for the last two years over the project. Apparently the level of traffic this would generate triggered the need to widen North Service Road, which was just reconstructed last year, which the developer didn't want to pay for. Apparently the project has been scaled down a bit as a result, but we haven't yet seen those updated plans.

image.png

17305-11-x-17-WFT3-RENDER-708x1024.png

I knew this parcel was going to be developed sooner than later, but never bothered to do more research on it.

Those existing apartment buildings have always looked tall relative to the surroundings - crazy to think they may be dwarfed, even if the proposed towers drop in height to some capacity.

While I'm all for height and these buildings look surprisingly decent. I can understand why the surrounding people might not be all that happy in this case. This is, safe to say, drastically taller than anything within many many miles of this location.

It does give some interesting insight into what developers might do with no height restrictions. Would be super curious to know how tall buildings in Toronto would be if developers had carte blanche (not that I'd want that of course)

latest site plan and rendering for this nuts project. It was in front of the CoA this month for some enabling variances, so nearing approval. No word on the final heights yet, but apparently they will be dropping at least a bit.

ohxgJJD.png

I think this a beautiful development that deserves some form of hieght. Being close to Centennial GO station and the QEW . Not too close to the escarpment where there is a height restriction bylaw.

I think this a beautiful development that deserves some form of hieght. Being close to Centennial GO station and the QEW . Not too close to the escarpment where there is a height restriction bylaw.
I agree, and hopefully density here will inspire some TOD near the GO station, called Confederation GO (sorry to be that guy but had to correct!).

I agree, and hopefully density here will inspire some TOD near the GO station, called Confederation GO (sorry to be that guy but had to correct!).
What I meant is that this GO station is off of Centennial Pkwy . I personally don't know the name of it. But thanks for your info!

This isn’t really all that close to the GO station, and even if it was, there are currently no sidewalks or pedestrian routes connecting it to it.

The best you may get is people cycling to the GO on the waterfront trail eventually.

This is wild. There isn't even a bus that goes anywhere near here. Add to that the only access north of the QEW is Gray Road to the west (unless you go significantly east or west on North Service Road), things are going to get insane...

This is wild. There isn't even a bus that goes anywhere near here. Add to that the only access north of the QEW is Gray Road to the west (unless you go significantly east or west on North Service Road), things are going to get insane...
I suspect that HSR will provide service by extending at least some 44 Rymal trips (one of the core bus routes in Hamilton) once this is done as it's 1,800+ Units, in an area that already has a decent amount of density... But yes, a pretty terrible spot for so much density.

I suspect that HSR will provide service by extending at least some 44 Rymal trips (one of the core bus routes in Hamilton) once this is done as it's 1,800+ Units, in an area that already has a decent amount of density... But yes, a pretty terrible spot for so much density.
And knowing the HSR they'll probably run that service as pathetically as possible (ie: every 30 mins).

Proposed Development at 310 Frances is a joke. New Horizons is planning on building 3 towers, one will be 59 floors..why? Greed..why not build to match existing building heights, 21 Floors. Our Councillor Maria Pearson has very little time to hear or deal with the concerns of local residents that will be impacted by this development...during a public meeting at City Hall good old Pearson was very disrespectful to the residents when they voiced their concerns and too busy talking with the developers..wonder if her pockets are getting lined by New Horizons..would not surprise me..time to change the entire council at City Hall..Why can't New Horizons do the right thing and build to match existing

One last one today - the craziest one in Hamilton, possibly the craziest development in the province.

Stoney Creek back in the 1970's apparently zoned this site with no height or density restrictions, thinking that a developer would build an apartment block similar to the 14 storey buildings to the north along Lake Ontario.

Instead, the site sat empty until a few years ago when New Horizon purchased it, and decided to take advantage of the literally unlimited density permissions.

The result? three towers of 50+ storeys, the tallest buildings in Hamilton, 1,845 units, and a whopping 2,445 parking spaces. As. Of. Right. On the side of the QEW in suburban Stoney Creek.

Local councillors and residents are understandably... not pleased.

The site today:

The Site Plan application was undelegated and the developer has been negotiating with the city for the last two years over the project. Apparently the level of traffic this would generate triggered the need to widen North Service Road, which was just reconstructed last year, which the developer didn't want to pay for. Apparently the project has been scaled down a bit as a result, but we haven't yet seen those updated plans.

image.png

too tall, build to match existing

Councillor Maria Pearson of ward 10 fully supports this development

this makes no sense, someone is getting kick backs for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Proposed Development at 310 Frances is a joke. New Horizons is planning on building 3 towers, one will be 59 floors..why? Greed..why not build to match existing building heights, 21 Floors. Our Councillor Maria Pearson has very little time to hear or deal with the concerns of local residents that will be impacted by this development...during a public meeting at City Hall good old Pearson was very disrespectful to the residents when they voiced their concerns and too busy talking with the developers..wonder if her pockets are getting lined by New Horizons..would not surprise me..time to change the entire council at City Hall..Why can't New Horizons do the right thing and build to match existing

At one point, the existing height of 21 floors exceeded the then-existing height, so this is an extremely flawed viewpoint. Also, you may not want to accuse the councilor of corruption without evidence.

At one point, the existing height of 21 floors exceeded the then-existing height, so this is an extremely flawed viewpoint. Also, you may not want to accuse the councilor of corruption without evidence.
I exercise my freedom of speech. As I said in my earlier post why not match existing I have never heard a reason why we can’t do that why go from existing 21 to 59 it seems ludicrous but hey that’s only my opinion. However my opinion is shared by numerous people that live in my area that will be impacted bottom line developer greed and greed by City Hall stay safe

Back