News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Here's more on the artwork:

October 25, 2021 (Toronto ON) – Ushering a new era for the heart of the Financial District at Bay and Adelaide Streets, a new large-format photograph by artist-on-the-rise Jorian Charlton, called Untitled, has been unveiled by Dream Office REIT and Dream Unlimited, alongside Mayor John Tory and ArtworxTO. The piece will inspire and spark wonder in the city, as part of ArtworxTO’s Year of Public Art, through the initiative Project Reframed, which aims to highlight and empower local, emerging BIPOC artists.

24f99b1f-4497-b501-777d-d1b69cb18485.jpg

Dream has unveiled Untitled by Jorian Charlton on 330 Bay St, spanning 3,000 sq. ft. and climbing 70 feet high. (Photo credit: Norm Li)

Passersby in the Financial District will not miss this stunning artwork adorning 330 Bay St., the largest to date among the Year of Public Art pieces unveiled in 2021, spanning 3,000 sq. ft. and climbing 70 ft. high. The art will be on display until Spring 2022, as construction is underway on the building to modernize its façade.

Untitled, by local artist Jorian Charlton, showcases three models – a female and two male twins – all dressed in bright tulle dresses and pearls, contrasted against a dark backdrop. The twins sit tall on chairs while the female model stands proud over them with her hands on their shoulders, staring confidently and calmly into the camera, as a united front.

71b38ac1-bc8f-43ee-1cff-4bf29e0af622.png

Untitled will be on display until Spring 2022 as work continues on 330 Bay St to revitalize its façade. (Photo credit: Norm Li).

“We had originally organized the entire photoshoot on Instagram. I love to take an organic approach to my work – I’ve always believed in capturing people at their most authentic and natural selves,” says artist Charlton. “While I prefer to leave interpretation up to the viewer, through all my work, I want people to feel a sense of closeness and connection. I do hope Untitled creates a stronger sense of community after a long period of isolation.”

Due to COVID-19 restrictions, the photoshoot was set in Charlton’s home in Mississauga. The intimate setting allowed for Charlton and her small team to experiment with her first-ever film camera, fostering spontaneous opportunities and adding a raw quality to the piece.

An up-and-coming artist, Charlton is best known for her portrait photography and innate ability to capture intimate moments. Her experiences as a Jamaican-Canadian have informed her work, culminating in her distinct style that effortlessly fuses fashion, identity, and beauty with black representation.

Since 2018, Dream – which owns eight historical buildings along the Bay St. corridor – has been making significant efforts to reinvigorate the Financial District. Each building will be brought back to its original glory through restoration, design, and efficiency improvements. Beyond the launch of this latest art piece, Dream’s ongoing commitment to art spans all the communities in which it builds and operates, including multiple sculptures of varying scales at the Canary District, and massive installations and murals at the Distillery District.

“We are thrilled to be bringing such a unique art piece to the centre of downtown. There is such a magnetic quality to Jorian’s work and her piece Untitled, and we cannot wait for everyone in the city to experience its wonder and beauty at such a large scale,” says Krystal Koo, Head of Marketing and Sales at Dream. “We are believers in the Financial District, and proud to support the ArtworxTO: Toronto's Year of Public Art and the Project Reframed program, which harnesses the power of public art to reconnect communities and supports the amazing work by a diversity of artists.”

6ebcb9ac-c894-08a3-80f3-a42fd5de3dff.png

The unveiling ceremony hosted over the weekend with Dream, Charlton and members of her team, Mayor John Tory and the ArtworxTO team . From L-R: Model Whak, artist Jorian Charlton and model Mo. (Photo credit: Norm Li).

ArtworxTO: Toronto's Year of Public Art 2021-2022 kicked off this fall, in celebration of public art all over the city by local and international artists. ArtworxTO will continue to support local artists through to fall 2022, culminating in one of the largest arts and culture investments by the City in its history.

"We are very pleased to support Jorian Charlton's work as part of ArtworxTO: Toronto's Year of Public Art 2021–2022, a year-long celebration of Toronto’s exceptional public art collection and the creative community behind it. Working closely with Toronto-based businesses like Dream Unlimited and What We Like allows ArtworxTO to support local artists and new artworks that reflect Toronto's diversity and creates more opportunities for citizens to engage with art in their everyday lives,” says Joe Sellors, Project Lead, ArtworxTO: Toronto's Year of Public Art 2021-2022.

"ArtworxTO is all about bringing art to residents while at the same time providing much-needed support to our talented artists. This new piece of art in the heart of the Financial District will capture people’s attention and help spark new conversations. I want to thank the artist, Jorian Charlton for bringing this remarkable piece of art to life and to Dream Unlimited for supporting her vision. Highlighting the voices, and experiences of Black, Indigenous and artists of colour will strengthen Toronto's cultural community, and this is one more way we're ensuring our city comes back stronger than ever,” says Mayor John Tory.

To learn more about Jorian Charlton, please visit www.joriancharlton.com.

Would this reconstructed historic facade on the inside be gone now with the recent exterior renovation? 😢 Looking at the renders it seems unclear because Im not sure where this is located on the inside
Also curious about this, but I imagine it would not have been touched, as the facade seems to be located in the courtyard behind the adjacent Northern Ontario Building?
The Savarin, a popular restaurant and tavern for nearly fifty years, was built at 336 Bay Street in 1928, and was the work of the firm of N.A. Armstrong, architects. It was designated in 1980 under the Ontario Heritage Act. To provide for redevelopment of the site, the Queenston limestone facade with bronze windows was dismantled and stored while a new building was erected. The facade was reconstructed in an enclosed courtyard, during a major renovation of the Northern Ontario Building at the northwest corner of Bay and Adelaide Streets in 1982.
1685453429132.png

Back