AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
According to Architecture Unfolded's website, there's something in the works for the northeast corner of Evans & Kipling, just south of the Gardiner in Etobicoke.

350 Evans

Site Area: 48,000 m2
Gfa: 214,157.2 m2
Units: 1589

evans.jpg
evans2.jpg
evans3.jpg

Current view of this corner:

evans4.JPG

I can see this highway being bombarded with a canyon of highrises and skyscrapers on each side. From the 427 to DVP highway in the future lol!!

Well this came from left field, and i'm vehemently against it. This area (south of The Queensway) is pretty much all industrial, so to have this massive residential development sprouting out spells nothing but trouble.

The last thing I want to hear about here are NIMBYs complaining about all the truck traffic, diesel fumes, and XYZ other complaints that have to deal with an industrial area. I'm all for residential development where it makes sense, especially along The Queensway, but this is just an absolute no. It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever and there's no way the city should allow for it.

Well this came from left field, and i'm vehemently against it. This area (south of The Queensway) is pretty much all industrial, so to have this massive residential development sprouting out spells nothing but trouble.

The last thing I want to hear about here are NIMBYs complaining about all the truck traffic, diesel fumes, and XYZ other complaints that have to deal with an industrial area. I'm all for residential development where it makes sense, especially along The Queensway, but this is just an absolute no. It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever and there's no way the city should allow for it.

Agreed.

IF there is a compelling case for employment lands conversion, either because an area is a vestige of its former self or a part of it is; and said part is contiguous to residential/mixeduse/mainstreet, I''m fine w/looking at that.

Edge sites are more of a concern, where an industrial/employment area is still very viable, and you're looking at that spot where it meets the residential/mixed use now. That can at least be considered, albeit with some hesitancy

But hollowing out this type of area for a conflicting type of use for which the supporting services and amenities don't exist is a non-starter.

I think they'll only build on the perimeter of this highway like this development having easy access to it .

I doubt this conversion request will be permitted so don't get too excited about it.

The thing with conversion requests is that anyone can request them, and they are relatively inexpensive for what results in a massive profit windfall if you are successful. It just has a low success rate. Many asset holders submitted requests for basically all their sites in the hope that one or two would stick - the expectation is that most will be denied.

I doubt this conversion request will be permitted so don't get too excited about it.

The thing with conversion requests is that anyone can request them, and they are relatively inexpensive for what results in a massive profit windfall if you are successful. It just has a low success rate. Many asset holders submitted requests for basically all their sites in the hope that one or two would stick - the expectation is that most will be denied.
I certainly hope this will be the case.

I mean it's Etobicoke-Lakeshore, so we've certaily seen crazy things happen along similar lines *cough Willowbrook Yard- Dunpar Homes*.

oh, well then this one suddenly stands a lot better of a chance if the local councillor likes it.

it's mark grimes

he likes everything

he's the reason for humber bay shores lol now for the eventual sequel.

i warned about this before... once this land starts to go there's a real chance another potentially massive city core will just suddenly pop up as all the industry just disappears. that land is a potential gold mine for commercial and residential. huge plots. low value. future mass transit corridor (kipling). it has all the right conditions just needs someone to keep pushing.

Here's a similar letter from Councillor Pasternak regarding two conversion sites in North York:

Maybe they'll be adding stipulations to the by-laws similar to what's in place for 2150 Lake Shore where the employment space is demanded early on? Still, Pasternak's space is retail, not industrial, so it's not as big of a deal in his Ward. It's all making me wonder though if this type of conversion is seen as a way to stave off rezoning of the Yellowbelt, and therefore politically expedient.

CTRL + V this plan onto the Queensway Mall just north of here and I could live with it. There is just simply no cohesive reason to put a new community here. Why is Mark Grimes supporting this? He was almost in tears over the Mimico Judson Plan "How am I supposed to support Staff's settlement recommendation and look my constituents in the eye?" he sobbed. Is it because there's no homeowners around this one?

Back