8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

alphadude

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hey Folks. First timer, and I know this site is pretty far from TO, but you're the only group I can find that might be able to answer my question.

There is a building/gas station that was shut down a few years ago right off the 401 between Winston Churchill and Mississauga Road. It was a Wendy's/Tim Horton's and had a ramp right off the highway.

Currently I think since it was abandoned it can only be accessed by a parallel street called Argentia.

Does anyone know what is happening or what the stauts of this building is? Is it for sale or unsafe, etc.

Thanks for any help!

This was a full service centre with access from 401. There was a Shell gas bar, and a building which had several fast food restaurants, and a retail store selling touristy things like maps, T-shirts, etc. It closed about five years ago (?), presumably because business wasn't strong enough.

The property is part of the Hwy. 401 right-of-way and therefore is owned by the Ontario Government. As far as I know there have been no efforts to sell it. It is located in the fairly good Argentia Road office and hotel district, and I would think it would have some value as an office site, but the awkward configuration might be a drawback. Access of course would have to be from Argentia Road, not from the 401.

I remember they closed it because there's plenty of services along Mississauga interchanges already. Winston Churchill, Mississauga Rd, Mavis, Hurontario, Dixie, they all have lots of services available nearby. Service centres generally aren't located in built-up areas. Having that one there was somewhat anachronistic.

Service centres aren't generally found in built-up areas, but this one was built mainly as a Toronto "welcome centre"

It's a shame this service centre closed down. The building is just sitting there, rotting away. As far as Ontario service centres go, it had modern architecture, was well landscaped with an outdoor patio and a second level rooftop patio, and it also had business conference rooms on the upper level. Maybe it was a concept that didn't work out. I always thought it closed down for the future widening of the 401 (ie. the MTO needed the right-of-way), such as for the upcoming westerly extension of the collector-distributor system past the Highway 410/403/401 interchange.

Service centres generally aren't located in built-up areas. Having that one there was somewhat anachronistic.

I don't know if having the service centre here was quite "anachronistic". This service station actually opened in the early 1990s (not sure if it was '90 or '91), and the area was even pretty well built up back then too. Again, locating it in Mississauga's urban fringe was likely a concept, such as a "welcome to Toronto" discussed above in this thread. Compare this to most of Ontario's other service centres along the 401 and 400, which date back to the 60's/70's and are in more rural/isolated areas and don't even compare to what this centre offered.

Last edited:
Well a google search revealed this old thread so I will revive it. I noticed a couple days ago that the gas bar at this service centre just got demolished. Anyone have details on the plans for this site?

Hi folks, I've noticed that there are footings/pilings being put in palce on both the north & south sides of 401. These are located in empty lots, north side is at the bend in Meadowpine Blvd and south side is in the old 401 Wendys/Tim Hortons service centre. Looks very much like a pedestrian bridge will be built there. Makes sense because there are isolated Mississauga bicycle trails on the north side that are not connected to the rest of Mississauga. Nearby Winston Churchill blvd is far too busy to be used to cross 401. Strange, I can't find any reference to connecting trails south of 401 with those north of 401 on the Mississauga Cycling master plan. They have a goal of nearly tripling the cycling routes from 300+ km to 900+ km in 20 years.

I noticed work going on the last 1-2 weeks at the site. Lots of trucks and workers. Big dirt piles. Not sure what the plan is

Seemingly it is to be an OPP Dispatch Centre to be opened Summer of 2020.

The new Mississauga detachment that was announced a few days ago (replacing the current Port Credit Detachment at QEW/10). There is no plan that I am aware of, nor no need for, a new or additional communications centre.

Going to be newOPP CENTRE...
Ontario Minister of Infrastructure Monte McNaughton and Solicitor General Sylvia Jones were in Mississauga on May 13 for a groundbreaking ceremony for the new Highway Safety Division detachment at 2735 Argentia Rd. as part of the second phase of the previous provincial government’s OPP modernization plan,

Back