News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

The election changed little. So, would an election, called under the exact same circumstances and with the same players, but ending in 'changing much', be then justified? How much of a change would render it justifiable?

“The issue is the opportunity costs of the election. The time it took, the energy it took, the focus it took, which could have been much better spent on, again, managing the pandemic, managing the crisis in Afghanistan, dealing with climate change. Not just necessarily paying for these things, but giving them the attention they needed. The Liberal Party thought they could win a majority and that’s why we had six weeks of this.”

What money was diverted from the any of these things (didn't know Afghanistan was our crisis to manage). Admittedly, attention was drawn away - for 35 days - while the government was in caretaker status, but the business of government, including program spending, continued on.

'Opportunity costs' = bunkum. Money would be spent, or not spent, on programs regardless. Colour me shocked that pundits and advocates are saying that the funds could have been spent on their pet projects; they just aren't so bold to pit their social justice project against another, otherwise we see aboriginal water systems facing off with pharmacare.

That listicle from a fairly vanilla website say there is a gap of 10% or more between the percentage of voting age population (the figure listed above) and the % of registered voters.

I'm calling bullshit. Why?

Because when you are 18 it is compulsory to register on the electoral roll ("register to vote") and if you don't physically go and register with the AEC/your state EC, you are captured via many other means:
- When you sign a lease, automatically you'll be put on the bill for a water authority and data is cross-referenced with electoral rolls.
- Many different credit checks in Australia cross-reference this information.
- Other utilities also perform this check.

It is very hard and very rare to escape being registered on the electoral roll (and it's also hard to remain in one electorate without other systems capturing your move to another).

The gap between voting age population (18) and being registered on the electoral roll is not 10%, I'd be surprised if it's any larger than 1%.

Australian voter turnout data from the people who actually run elections: https://www.aec.gov.au/elections/federal_elections/voter-turnout.htm

That listicle from a fairly vanilla website say there is a gap of 10% or more between the percentage of voting age population (the figure listed above) and the % of registered voters.

I'm calling bullshit. Why?

Because when you are 18 it is compulsory to register on the electoral roll ("register to vote") and if you don't physically go and register with the AEC/your state EC, you are captured via many other means:
- When you sign a lease, automatically you'll be put on the bill for a water authority and data is cross-referenced with electoral rolls.
- Many different credit checks in Australia cross-reference this information.
- Other utilities also perform this check.

It is very hard and very rare to escape being registered on the electoral roll (and it's also hard to remain in one electorate without other systems capturing your move to another).

The gap between voting age population (18) and being registered on the electoral roll is not 10%, I'd be surprised if it's any larger than 1%.

Australian voter turnout data from the people who actually run elections: https://www.aec.gov.au/elections/federal_elections/voter-turnout.htm

TY for the info.

Important to note, in my post, I wasn't slagging on Australia or its electorate.

Just offering that their are different models of higher voter turnout that what we see in Canada.

Because I'd hope you'd be able to find your way to the fact that this money isn't taking away from families, small business, or homeless, as you've voiced concerns about.
However in reality I believe you're primarily pushing this narrative because the election didn't have the outcome you would have liked, and not out of concern for the aforementioned groups.
As I said in my previous post and no need to partially quote me cause it's already answered in the whole post
No one is pushing any narratives, those are facts

My view of WASTED tax payer is shared by popular media and PhDs and published books (see 4 sources in previous post).
What facts do YOU have on the $600m?
Do you have a PhD or have published books?
So like Covid, I'm gonna trust the experts with accreditation and degrees.

Last edited:
As I said in my previous post and no need to partially quote me cause it's already answered in the whole post
No one is pushing any narratives, those are facts

My view of WASTED tax payer is shared by popular media and PhDs and published books (see 4 sources).
What facts do YOU have on the $600m?
Do you have a PhD or have published books?
So like Covid, I'm gonna trust the experts with accreditation and degrees.

Stop repeating the same post over, and over, and over again please. We got it, and it's frankly spammy behaviour.

AoD

It's not. It's opinion.
It's fact that $600m was spent

Also, you can only quote partial of my responses because you take my sentences out of context so you don't have to address the pov

So far you have not provided any other facts or points to further support your points in the posts

Because I'd hope you'd be able to find your way to the fact that this money isn't taking away from families, small business, or homeless, as you've voiced concerns about.
However in reality I believe you're primarily pushing this narrative because the election didn't have the outcome you would have liked, and not out of concern for the aforementioned groups.

This. I didn't hear any pushback when the opposition parties were all quietly goading for an election. But as soon as it became obvious they wouldn't make gains? The waste narrative started. If O'Toole was Prime Minister Elect, none of these folks would be calling it a waste. It's only a waste because they didn't get what they wanted. Essentially, democracy is only valid to them when they win.

This. I didn't hear any pushback when the opposition parties were all quietly goading for an election. But as soon as it became obvious they wouldn't make gains? The waste narrative started. If O'Toole was Prime Minister Elect, none of these folks would be calling it a waste. It's only a waste because they didn't get what they wanted. Essentially, democracy is only valid to them when they win.

There are also practical effects from holding an election, even if it produces more or less the same results - it basically "reset" the behaviour of all the parties and the relationship with provincial premiers - no longer will the risk/threat of a potential Federal election stymie actual work in the short term since there is no appetite for another in the next 12-18 months, and no one will be able to use that for dramatics. Anyone who has been paying attention couldn't stop but notice that our own Doug Ford is now urgently wanting a childcare deal that it played hard to get with over the past year - presumably because now he is the one having to bring home the bacon (there is an even more atrocious example of Alberta holding off requesting assistance from the Feds to medivac COVID paitents, for transparently political reasons).

AoD

Last edited:
full CBC story below
we got the house flipping pro's working on housing policy 😂😅, has 20 house flips of experience, everything is gonna be ok
20210924_132855.png

Last edited:

Back