News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
This is at the east end of the street near the Cooksville GO Station with a lot size of 663 x 307 FT. Boring taking place on the land for soil condition since this was an industrial site at one time.

It also sits about 15 feet be low CP incline tracks for the Galt Sub

Can get a fair number of mid rises on this site with the tallest in the area around 21s.

Can you add Mississauaga to the thread title? I clicked on this thinking it was John Street in downtown Toronto before my balloon of excitement immediately zipped around in unpredictable directions while making the farting sound of rapid deflation.

Can you add Mississauaga to the thread title? I clicked on this thinking it was John Street in downtown Toronto before my balloon of excitement immediately zipped around in unpredictable directions while making the farting sound of rapid deflation.

I agree w/your request for the title; but would point out..........there is no 59 John Street in downtown Toronto.

55 is Metro Hall, then you jump to 85 for one of the Mirvish buildings; and the building on the left below is 117, and nobody is allowed to touch that, says me!

1668197140722.png

Now, lets get a look at this Mississauga site, shall we?

Aerial:

1668197257445.png

Streetview: (not overly revelatory due to fences and trees)

1668197373834.png

A sense of size by looking down the street, pretty much the entire left side of the image is this site:

1668197426560.png

The site has potential for mid to hirise, it is directly across from 4s residential at spots; but I think height tucked in behind (towards the tracks) is pretty workable.

The biggest thing in its favour is proximity to transit, presumably enough so that this is MTSA territory.

The site is ~250M from the Hurontario LRT and Cooksville GO Stn.

However, the site does have some limitations.

An on-site park is a likely requirement here, a buffer next to the rail corridor.

This section of rail ROW is only 2 tracks wide, I would assume there would be a desire to preserve room for up to 4.

To a near certainty, one public road will have to extended into the site (N-S); and depending on how the site is laid out, an additional E-W may be required.

You know there is more than one John St in Toronto like a few others.

The current rail corridor can handle 4 tracks to the point that there is a 3rd track siding in place or used to be west of Dundas St near this area.

CP most likely ask for a crash wall like they have for the Islington towers and the one to be built to the west of it.

Current zoning is calling for max 25s towers and it will be interesting to see if it could be taller. It will cast a showy light on those single/2 story buildings to the north of the site.

Current property taxes for the site is about $109,000 a year for the vacant land. Only take a decade or two have a million or so $$ float away and try to recover it with higher density.

Can't see a park next to the corridor and development as it will be a poorly lighted area with the high rail corridor and the development base on both sides of it.

I agree w/your request for the title; but would point out..........there is no 59 John Street in downtown Toronto.

55 is Metro Hall, then you jump to 85 for one of the Mirvish buildings; and the building on the left below is 117, and nobody is allowed to touch that, says me!

View attachment 438693
Allied is trying to put these together...*zips mouth*

Allied is trying to put these together...*zips mouth*

There's no room here for Allied's typical over-the-top play with heritage. There are no backyards or such to speak of.....and there's not really a crumby facade in the lot, including the adjacent Adelaide frontages.

Every last one of these also comes with full designation.

I can't even fathom what the play would look like here.

You know there is more than one John St in Toronto like a few others.
it would be helpful if thread titles had the first three characters of the postcode - shorter than having the city/former municipality name.

it would be helpful if thread titles had the first three characters of the postcode - shorter than having the city/former municipality name.
...not sure it would. As most the public will unlikely recognize the area based on just that.

I see no downside to putting Mississauga in the thread title. IMO, any municipality that isn't Toronto should have their name in the thread title for maximal clarity and ease of scanning threads for areas of interest, but in particular at least if it's a potentially confusing case it seems to make sense to me to add clarification. Of course sometimes there could be streets with the same name within the same municipality and that could still cause confusion, but I just don't see any downside to clarifying in the thread title where clarification is possible and adding somewhat more specificity. Why would we not do that?

Last edited:
I mean… it’s Urban Toronto. Who is “the public” here?
In this case it would be the reader. That is, anyone that browses this forum whether they are signed up members or not.

Funny but yeah, the Mississauga in the title could be a game changer…

So what was here before? Must have been something at some point as it's clearly not just a forest or field.

Back