innsertnamehere

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
NEw site plan application on the waterfront in Stoney Creek, another 40+ storey tower on the QEW service road. According to signage on the site, this is owned by Fengate. A 9-storey retirement home was built on the eastern half of the site a few years ago.

To develop a multiple dwelling consisting of 43 and 36 storey towers connected via a 5 storey podium containing a total of 933 residential and 16 live-work units. Includes 1,160 vehicular parking spaces (82 surface and 1078 interior spaces).

1674055451290.png

This condo will look beautiful when finished while cruising down the QEW as seen in the photos up above lol!

Interestingly, these towers also appear to be as-of-right, with the existing zoning having no maximum heights or densities.

This is the same situation that 310 Frances down the street is in.

This one has updates which have been changed in the database.

Storeys shortened from 43 (138m) & 36 (118m) to 37 (120m) and 25 (84m).

Total unit count reduced from 949 to 730.

FSI reduced from ~ 9 to now 3.63.

Updated renderings:
drp-8shoreview-architecture-drawings-0.jpg
drp-8shoreview-architecture-drawings-620.jpg
drp-8shoreview-architecture-drawings-621.jpg
drp-8shoreview-architecture-drawings-622.jpg
drp-8shoreview-architecture-drawings-623.jpg
drp-8shoreview-architecture-drawings-624.jpg
drp-8shoreview-architecture-drawings-625.jpg
drp-8shoreview-architecture-drawings-626.jpg

I can’t believe it, but the architecture is actually better than before, if not by much. Still waiting on a plan from the city to bring adequate transit north of the QEW, tho. They’d rather pretend this kind of development isn’t happening it seems.

I can’t believe it, but the architecture is actually better than before, if not by much. Still waiting on a plan from the city to bring adequate transit north of the QEW, tho. They’d rather pretend this kind of development isn’t happening it seems.
I imagine we'll get transit here once these projects are actually built and open.

Some more sidewalks around here would be nice too.. no way to walk from here to the rest of the city right now either. Millen doesn't have sidewalks north of Barton.

This plan is need to upgrade water/sewer pipes, add more sidewalks, more road re-paving, add HSR service (even conventional or on demand service) in Stoney Creek waterfront area and upgrading volunteer Fire Station 15 to a full-time station.

I do bike riding though Stoney Creek a couple times.

Love this proposal and design! They absolutely MUST extend the HSR along that north side of the QEW. The bus should do a loop from either Eastgate Mall or Centenial GO then go along North Service RD then hit up the Costco area at 50 Road then loops back down North Service Rd and rinse and repeat. More of this please!

Love this proposal and design! They absolutely MUST extend the HSR along that north side of the QEW. The bus should do a loop from either Eastgate Mall or Centenial GO then go along North Service RD then hit up the Costco area at 50 Road then loops back down North Service Rd and rinse and repeat. More of this please!
This plan is need to upgrade water/sewer pipes, add more sidewalks, more road re-paving, add HSR service (even conventional or on demand service) in Stoney Creek waterfront area and upgrading volunteer Fire Station 15 to a full-time station.

I do bike riding though Stoney Creek a couple times.
I imagine we'll get transit here once these projects are actually built and open.

Some more sidewalks around here would be nice too.. no way to walk from here to the rest of the city right now either. Millen doesn't have sidewalks north of Barton.

As I’m gathering a lot of similar sentiments from everyone above, I suggest that (despite our tendancy to sometimes overdo it elsewhere) it’s time the city undertakes a real planning exercise for this area. I’ve mentioned this before, but I’m not sure if I’ve done so on UT recently.

The efforts to keep growth away from the waterfront here never worked and we need to plan accordingly. Our otherwise hands-off approach to development wont work either. A simple bus route extension might suffice in the near term, but the fundamental morphology is not going to be what it is “supposed” to. I compared the area to an unplanned HBS before, and if that is what we get with planning input, I really don’t want to know what will happen without. In any case, the city stands to benefit if they can create a plan that not only facilitates, but incentivizes new development here, given how desirable it is. As Mayor Quimby proudly said,

“If that is the way the winds are blowing, let no one say that I also don’t blow”

Something something, Setting Sail 2.0 might be in order.

As I’m gathering a lot of similar sentiments from everyone above, I suggest that (despite our tendancy to sometimes overdo it elsewhere) it’s time the city undertakes a real planning exercise for this area. I’ve mentioned this before, but I’m not sure if I’ve done so on UT recently.

The efforts to keep growth away from the waterfront here never worked and we need to plan accordingly. Our otherwise hands-off approach to development wont work either. A simple bus route extension might suffice in the near term, but the fundamental morphology is not going to be what it is “supposed” to. I compared the area to an unplanned HBS before, and if that is what we get with planning input, I really don’t want to know what will happen without. In any case, the city stands to benefit if they can create a plan that not only facilitates, but incentivizes new development here, given how desirable it is. As Mayor Quimby proudly said,

“If that is the way the winds are blowing, let no one say that I also don’t blow”

Something something, Setting Sail 2.0 might be in order.

This image jumps out at me, although it undercounts the public space available right across the road.

53537-161240.jpg

Agreed that there should be major improvements to this area. My recent Hamilton Shoreline analysis confirms that Stoney Creek has severely fractured access. It'd be nice if some of the funds could be used to expropriate the last holdout and start improvements to Cherry Beach Park. The lack of HSR service is also awful, I had to extend my last walk all the way to Casablanca Blvd, just so I could catch a GO bus back into Hamilton.

Back