News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Mustapha

Member Bio
Reaction score
July 25, 2010.

This street has a real different look and feel from what we Torontonians are used to. Many old buildings re-purposed, but sympathetically. Very busy on this hot July Sunday; it felt like half of Miami was here; strolling up and down.

DSCF2672.jpg

DSCF2673.jpg

DSCF2681.jpg

DSCF2684.jpg

DSCF2686.jpg

DSCF2691.jpg

DSCF2694.jpg

DSCF2695.jpg

DSCF2696.jpg

DSCF2696a.jpg

DSCF2697.jpg

DSCF2698a.jpg

DSCF2700.jpg

DSCF2705.jpg

DSCF2708.jpg

DSCF2708a.jpg

DSCF2712.jpg

DSCF2713.jpg

DSCF2714.jpg

^ Thanks for the tour Jeff, I'm dying to get down there and shoot all that yummy Art Deco. What's the room rate in that area?

^ Thanks for the tour Jeff, I'm dying to get down there and shoot all that yummy Art Deco. What's the room rate in that area?

Heya Andrew,

I stayed in a Hampton Inn miles away from the Lincoln Road / South Beach area so I don't have the answer to your question. You won't regret spending a few days down there with a camera.

Interesting pictures. My girlfriend wants to go to Miami (of all things because she is a diehard Florida Panthers fan). It doesn't seem like the most appealing place to me, but these pictures at least make it look a bit intriguing.

Andrew - As for hotels, I'd suggest bidding on priceline. Go to www.betterbidding.com, see what prices people are bidding and check out the hotels on tripadvisor and see what you might be able to get. For most American cities, because the economy is so crappy, there are super deals to be had (I've saved 75% on my last two trips staying in 4*+ hotels). It's worth looking into.

To me, Miami was one of the least interesting places I've been to in the states - number one on that list is Huston (less it's museums). This stretch was interesting from an architectural point of view but that's about it - it's not unlike many of the other pedestrian only streets many US cities have.

If you like beaches though, I can see appeal - mind you, it's beaches do not compare to places in the Caribbean or even more isolated beach areas in America but the mix with a large (American) city there is what makes it *somewhat* unique - I say somewhat as there are many other such cities, but they're smaller. I don't enjoy beaches much so none of this appealed to me.

jn_12,

By all means, if you and the girlfriend have the time and resources Miami is worth at least a long weekend while you take in a game. When I travelled on business my partner would arrange appointments around a hockey game in any city you care to name. The Lincoln Road / South beach area is great for general "promenading" and just sitting in cafes for a rest.

I know I am engaging in a stretch of a segue here but many cruise ships leave from Miami for Caribbean cruises. The economy is bad and lines such as Norwegian have responded with short 5 day cruises with inside cabins for as little as $60 per person per day. This means that for only $600 you get fed, entertained, gamble, sit around a pool and taken around the Bahamas, etc for 5 days. May not be your thing but there are worse things. :)

taal,

I've been to Houston too. Even Dallas. Miami is not as antiseptic, :) , to me anyways. I do agree that museum hopping is the thing to do if a city and its environs aren't particularly appealing to one's taste.

I guess part of it is that I have never thought of Miami as a place with qualities that i would like to see. I'm not a beach person and that's the first thing I associate it with, and i always kinda imagined its urbanness to be reminiscent of Tampa which I didn't care for. Obviously there's a bit of an infusion from the Caribbean which seems to be displayed in your pictures, but I've also never wanted to visit the islands. So Miami just never intrigued me in the way a Boston or Chicago does. Perhaps that's holding it up to a bar it can't possibly reach. I also have to admit I have little interest in American cities for some reason. Though I haven't been to NY, there are few (two maybe? NYC and SF) American cities left on my list that interest me to the point where I'd actually plan a visit there now that I've been to Boston and Chicago. I guess I just don't find them "different" enough from what we have here to consider spending money on them in comparison to going overseas. Odds are if we do go down it'll involve 2 or 3 hockey games, so that should consume a fair amount of time haha.

Thanks though for the pictures.

Back