4.8K     0 

AlvinofDiaspar

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
Posted on behalf of @bussub:

---

Our grown up children live in Australia. We plan to spend the Canadian winter in Australia. What would be an good accommodation arrangement/building for a snowbird who will only live in the building for half of the year? We are not rich, just an average Canadian couple. Would like to find out a low/reasonable cost solution.

Thanks so much.

I don't have the required number of posts to start a new thread.
Thank you AlvinofDiaspar for posting this for me.

Not sure what the rules are for Reddit r/Toronto, but you might want to ask there. Good luck.

You could buy a condo and rent it out for the winter 6 months - most condos have a minimum of 6 month rentals (though some have 1-year minimums and a few less than 6). Of course, you have no guarantee you will find a tenant each year (or ever) nor whether they will be OK.

If you don't need to live in Toronto I would go to one of the outside towns, especially any along the Toronto - Kingston rail line. You could rent a place for cheap over 12 months in some of the prettier Ontario summer towns, such as Cobourg and take VIA to Toronto whenever city life beckons. Leave the rental unit vacant while you're away, it's still cheap. Senior rates on VIA are cheap, especially if bought early. And since you're close to Montreal you can take VIA there as well to explore. Best of all, you don't need a car. If you're only here in the summers, I'd buy a small motorcycle or scooter.

$1,795 a month rent - https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/...gle-family-house-650-sinclair-street-cobourg?

Or, you could buy a place in these cheaper areas and rent it out for six months on AirBnB. Or buy in a ski area, where you can rent it out big in the winter when you're away, such as Blue Mountain, where they have a property manager to watch your unit while it's being rented.

Then there's always home exchange https://www.homeexchange.com/

Back