8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Yunus Emre

Member Bio
Reaction score
Alberta has made $240.000 billion contribution to equalization between 2007 and 2018
I always wonder that What could be done if this money remained in Alberta ?
What would have changed if this money remained in Alberta?

Eav-Z0n-TUc-AA5c-H.png

And the benefits of the federation, Alberta is likely now a net receiver from confederation:

“ For the first time in 55 years, Alberta will be a net receiver in the federation.”

figure-1.jpg

We are so lucky to be part of a federation within a large, diversified, 37-million person, 2-trillion dollar economy and not just a small, un-diversified, 4.3-million person, landlocked, stand-alone crony-capitalist petro-state.

As in lifelong Albertan, it never quite made sense to me that portions of this province don't see the inherit risk and counter-productivity of the second option under any imaginary scenario. The only reasonable rationale I could come up with that explains this view point, is that a half century of single-party, single-industry, and non-diversified media rule has systemically replaced a lot of this province's ability to critically think with dogma.

Imagine trying to weather this pandemic and associated economic depression as an independent, landlocked nation of only 4.5 million people with more than a quarter of our GDP tied up in a single industry with an extremely uncertain future. Complete foolishness. No wonder all the Wexit people are also the same ones protesting masks and calling COVID a hoax.

Edit: didn't see that @CBBarnett posted a similar comment just before I did.

Imagine trying to weather this pandemic and associated economic depression as an independent, landlocked nation of only 4.5 million people with more than a quarter of our GDP tied up in a single industry with an extremely uncertain future. Complete foolishness. No wonder all the Wexit people are also the same ones protesting masks and calling COVID a hoax.

Edit: didn't see that @CBBarnett posted a similar comment just before I did.
Sane minds think alike - or rather sane minds use critical thinking to come to reasonably consistent conclusions given the evidence 👍

Alberta has made $240.000 billion contribution to equalization between 2007 and 2018
I always wonder that What could be done if this money remained in Alberta ?
What would have changed if this money remained in Alberta?

Eav-Z0n-TUc-AA5c-H.png
AB would not have kept it here anyways. We’d just end up in the financial hole we’re in now because this province is revenue averse and terrible at financial planning.

Back