News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

If an election was held today, who would you vote for?

• UCP

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • NDP

Votes: 42 77.8%
  • Liberal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alberta Party

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 5.6%

• Total voters
Feds shouldn't be meddling in areas of provincial responsibility. It's as simple as that.
The money is based on municipal zoning. If the Feds want to bypass a belligerent, lying provincial government that is itself interfering in both municipal and federal politics I don't blame them. At least Smith gave the bill an honest name. She wants to gatekeep Albertans from receiving back our tax dollars unless it meets her alt right ideological agenda.

The money is based on municipal zoning. If the Feds want to bypass a belligerent, lying provincial government that is itself interfering in both municipal and federal politics I don't blame them. At least Smith gave the bill an honest name. She wants to gatekeep Albertans from receiving back our tax dollars unless it meets her alt right ideological agenda.
Would you be OK with a Province bypassing an incompetent and lying Federal government to say implement its own international border control or immigration system? Municipalities are 100% provincial jurisdiction so the Feds should have zero influence on policy like zoning or a vapid Renters' Bill of Rights. If the Feds want to fund housing or anything in provincial jurisdiction, they can provide no strings, per capita grants. The Federal government seems intent on trying to be a Provincial government while ignoring its own undisputed jurisdiction.

Last edited:
with a Province bypassing an incompetent and lying Federal government to say implement its own international border control or immigration system?
Quebec operates an immigration system to some success. Naturalization and Aliens (borders) is exclusively federal jurisdiction. I guess if the provinces want to use spending power to incentivize or disincentivize aliens entry or departure, that that would be analogous to what the federal government is doing here.

I am fine with the province doing both, even though I would find both wasteful. Which is the same as my opinion about Bill 18.

To the surprise of no one Smith is now attacking Calgary's blanket rezoning after blocking Federal housing funding that would have given us much needed help to build more homes. The damage she is doing to this city and province will set us back a decade.

To the surprise of no one Smith is now attacking Calgary's blanket rezoning after blocking Federal housing funding that would have given us much needed help to build more homes. The damage she is doing to this city and province will set us back a decade.

When in opposition, the Wildrose opposed regional planning to limit exurban sprawl imposed by the province, and opposed Calgary using water license agreements to dictate minimum densities in new developments in Calgary's ring communities.

This shouldn't surprise anyone.

I am never surprised by Danielle Smith's hypocrisy, stupidity, corruption, lies, incompetence, belligerence or plain old pettiness. She whines incessantly about the Federal government not respecting other jurisdictions and then imposes her rural dumbass ideology onto municipal and federal jurisdictions. The only aspiring dictator attaching strings to everything that I see is Smith. I have real concerns she will cancel the Greenline. If the CPC wins federally I can see that happening too. And the idiot supporters here will cheer as they are denied infrastructure and housing funding. Cuz their team won!

Last edited:
I am never surprised by Danielle Smith's hypocrisy, stupidity, corruption, lies, incompetence, belligerence or plain old pettiness. She whines incessantly about the Federal government not respecting other jurisdictions and then imposes her rural dumbass ideology onto municipal and federal jurisdictions. The only aspiring dictator attaching strings to everything that I see is Smith. I have real concerns she will cancel the Greenline. If the CPC wins federally I can see that happening too. And the idiot supporters here will cheer as they are denied infrastructure and housing funding. Cuz their team won!
The only examples I can think of Alberta trespassing on Federal jurisdiction are attending the COP conference and operating trade offices in other countries. Other provinces do far worse: ex. Quebec having input into immigration and attending La Francophonie. Municipalities have no jurisdiction in Canada. They are basically departments of the Provincial government.

The only examples I can think of Alberta trespassing on Federal jurisdiction are attending the COP conference and operating trade offices in other countries. Other provinces do far worse: ex. Quebec having input into immigration and attending La Francophonie. Municipalities have no jurisdiction in Canada. They are basically departments of the Provincial government.
Alberta has input in immigration to and could do more if they wanted. They would have to hire people to do it though so just like with collecting Albertan’s income taxes there is a lot of cost for pretty minor benefits when the feds will let the province change things a lot within broad guidelines.

The provinces most certainly interfered in the Canada EU trade agreement (rightly—agricultyre and natural resources being joint jurisdiction and exclusive respectively), have voiced that they’d do the same in any environmental treaties.

Danielle Smith has a megaphone right now declaring she wants Alberta Sovereignty. From the Sovereignty Act to the new Gatekeeper Bill designed to block Federal funding to universities non profits and cities, to her pushing for provincial police, to pulling our investment out of CPP.

Back