News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

If an election was held today, who would you vote for?

• UCP

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • NDP

Votes: 42 77.8%
  • Liberal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alberta Party

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 5.6%

• Total voters
I love the UCP. Take your "UCP and Kenney bad" speak over to Reddit and keep it there. I understand why the provincial government is looking this project over. The entire Green Line is way overpriced. I want this line built badly too with a tunnel under the river and the line going to the airport, but Farkas is right, it costs too much for what we get.
I agree it's over the top to be likened to a white supremacist for this comment. That said, I think it's a little presumptuous for a relatively new member to tell someone what they can and cannot say on this board. There are a variety of political opinions represented here. But typically if one is going to make a claim like "the entire Green Line is way overpriced", they would back it up with some kind of clarification. Overpriced as compared to what? Also, if you think this version of the line is overpriced, how on earth do you think we would ever build a tunnel under the river and then all the way up to the airport. I believe the economics of building a rail line to the airport have been discussed at length and they do not work. As has been already mentioned, these kinds of connections do not generate a lot of ridership. They are politically popular because everyone can imagine themselves taking a trip to the airport at some point, but that doesn't equate to the same level of ridership major commuting corridors.

It wasn't meant literally. I think most of you know that. I was just levelling the playing field. I disagree that there are a variety of political opinions here. It seems it's only anti-UCP'ers in a circlejerk. You know, groupthink with unoriginal opinions. If you want to crap on the UCP or rave on about the NDP, go ahead. But don't insult your opposition and make wild assumptions about them. It's sad and appalling to see googspecial's radical left-wing rhetoric get encouraged, especially on here. I joined to talk infrastructure. If I wanted to get crapped on, get called a racist, white supremacist, anti-masker, stupid, probably a homophobe too, all for being a UCP supporter; I'd go on r/Alberta or r/Calgary for that.

It wasn't meant literally. I think most of you know that. I was just levelling the playing field. I disagree that there are a variety of political opinions here. It seems it's only anti-UCP'ers in a circlejerk. You know, groupthink with unoriginal opinions. If you want to crap on the UCP or rave on about the NDP, go ahead. But don't insult your opposition and make wild assumptions about them. It's sad and appalling to see googspecial's radical left-wing rhetoric get encouraged, especially on here. I joined to talk infrastructure. If I wanted to get crapped on, get called a racist, white supremacist, anti-masker, stupid, probably a homophobe too, all for being a UCP supporter; I'd go on r/Alberta or r/Calgary for that.
I mean, the UCP is the party of white supremacists, xenophobes, scapegoating people of non-white ethnicities, homophobes, anti-freedom, anti-maskers, anti-environment/parks, defunding education, destroying the curriculum, and defunding social services... so it's literally not even a big jump to make to just assume someone who still, after alllllll that, supports the UCP is at least a white supremacist, if not worse. It's certainly not a "wild assumption" at this point, looking at their track record.

And, biscuit, Googspecial isn't the one who brought it up, you did. 💅

Last edited:
I mean, the UCP is the party of white supremacists, xenophobes, scapegoating people of non-white ethnicities, homophobes, anti-freedom, anti-maskers, anti-environment/parks, defunding education, destroying the curriculum, and defunding social services... so it's literally not even a big jump to make to just assume someone who still, after alllllll that, supports the UCP is at least a white supremacist, if not worse. It's certainly not a "wild assumption" at this point, looking at their track record.

It's still a big jump, because it's an assumption. While it's true that white supremacists are likely supporters of the UCP, it doesn't equate to UCP supporters being white supremacists. You're painting a group of people with a broad brush, and is like saying all Muslims are terrorists, or all Indigenous people are alcoholics.It's that kind of thinking that got us into these kinds of problems in the first place.

Simple people simplify other people. I couldn't imagine thinking the way you do. I also couldn't imagine engrossing most of my political opinions with identity politics. Lol, but if you think it's important, carry on 😂. Anyway that's all the attention I care to give to a loony toon. Good luck with the whole "end hate" thing or whatever lol

It's still a big jump, because it's an assumption. While it's true that white supremacists are likely supporters of the UCP, it doesn't equate to UCP supporters being white supremacists. You're painting a group of people with a broad brush, and is like saying all Muslims are terrorists, or all Indigenous people are alcoholics.It's that kind of thinking that got us into these kinds of problems in the first place.
I'm a visible minority, and for the record I voted NDP last election, but I agree, let's not judge people by how they vote. Some of my family members voted for the UCP, for varying reasons I won't get into, but I can attest that they are aren't white supremacists or xenophobic, and they didn't all vote for the UCP for the same reasons. There are a also number of MLAs and party members who are also non white.

I don't like it when someone assumes I voted for the NDP because I'm a visible minority. I vote strictly for political reasons and have voted for the PC party in the past.

Simple people simplify other people. I couldn't imagine thinking the way you do. I also couldn't imagine engrossing most of my political opinions with identity politics. Lol, but if you think it's important, carry on 😂. Anyway that's all the attention I care to give to a loony toon. Good luck with the whole "end hate" thing or whatever lol
The problem with the UCP is the people who are Xenophic, Homophobic, or what not, support that party. The party hasn't done a good job of controlling supporters who are from that cloth, especially from the homophobic side.

Lol it's funny to hear a UCP supporter call anyone else a loony toon. I simplified you because you showed yourself to be simple, very much akin to your confederates throughout this province who want to take away others rights and stay stuck 50 years in the past. If you don't like to be called out for your bullshit, then don't act a fool. Good luck with the whole "destroying the future of our province" thing or whatever lol.

You are right. I get impassioned by this topic because I am one of the minorities that those sick people would love to relegate to second class citizen, or worse. But again, you're right, only a Sith deals in absolutes.

Strange that we are supposed to assume that their comment wasn't to be taken literally, yet not mine? It's also pretty suspect that they are more upset about my comment - not even directly accusing them of being a white supremacist - instead of condemning racism and anti-mask sentiments that are so prevalent in the party they claim to "love". Being unable to recognize that the UCP is a magnet for people who hold those extreme views of prejudices is an incredible blind spot that too many average conservatives have. It's sycophantic and really unfortunate.

I would also like to apologize for the leap from the dumb reddit comment to the dumb white-supremacist comment. It was an unfair swerve from topic at hand. Although I still agree that the UCP is to blame for this current greenline upset.

I really really hate to say it, but I hope Kenney doesn't resign or get the boot, and continues as leader of the UCP right to the next election. If he gets the boot this year, then the chance of comeuppance for the party begins to diminish as they have two years to redraw their image to the public. If he stays on, he'll continue to drive the party into an early grave. Unfortunately that leaves the public of Alberta as collateral damage, but will we really be better off with a new UCP Premier? Probably the same, but they would probably be able to win back some of the support they've now lost. I'd rather he call an early election, but that will never happen (would love to be wrong). I don't feel good about this opinion, so feel free to drag me, lol.

Given the crap that Kenney pulled to win the UCP leadership back in 2017, I can't see him going down without a fight. I can't remember where I saw it reported, but apparently Kenney threatened to go to the polls and let the NDP win if his caucus didn't fall in line. The problem is, there's probably a lot of Derek Fildebrandt/Maxime Bernier types in the UCP who care more about their social media followings and being right-wing "influencers" than in actually winning elections. It's going to be hard to keep them in line.

Uniting the right helped the UCP win the election, but I would call it short term gain for long term pain.
They’ve now painted themselves into a corner. The extreme Wild Rose right wing types won’t go away and the party is trying to appease them while also trying to hang on to the more moderate conservatives. I personally know people who voted conservative and are now planning to vote for the NDP. I can’t help but wonder how many more are like that?
This may sound simplistic, but I think Calgary will decide the next election. Edmonton will go NDP and rural areas will go UCP....Calgary is up in the air these days.
The UCP hasn’t done a good job of keeping Calgarians happy with their handling of Covid and the Green Line among other things.

Back