News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

If an election was held today, who would you vote for?

• UCP

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • NDP

Votes: 42 77.8%
  • Liberal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alberta Party

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 5.6%

• Total voters
Calgary will be the key to all provincial elections from 2015 on, indefinitely. Edmonton will be solid orange, rural solid blue, and Calgary and Lethbridge both light orange/light blue. It sounds simplistic because it is, just look at the polling numbers and the results of the last two elections.

On another note… man would I love to see an early election. The UCP would split back into its constituent parts and would both be annihilated at the polls even in many rural ridings. Would be a dream come true.

I would rather if the conservatives were to loose that they lost united. A loss of that manner would hopefully lead to soul searching and reevaluation of whether they are close enough to the centre, not what seems to have happened to conservatives in modern times - blaming communications strategy, and not being far enough to the right.

Given the crap that Kenney pulled to win the UCP leadership back in 2017, I can't see him going down without a fight. I can't remember where I saw it reported, but apparently Kenney threatened to go to the polls and let the NDP win if his caucus didn't fall in line. The problem is, there's probably a lot of Derek Fildebrandt/Maxime Bernier types in the UCP who care more about their social media followings and being right-wing "influencers" than in actually winning elections. It's going to be hard to keep them in line.
Oh right, I saw this reported in the Western Standard I think (Derek Fildebrant is an editor there now). I still don't think it would happen... The Wild Rose faction of the party would still likely win their seats, even if the majority of the UCP lost theirs.

I wish the provincial election was tomorrow, so we could see where the UCP stands after how poorly they've handled covid among other things. I feel like a number of people who voted for them last election based on jobs, are not going to vote for them this time around. If covid is well under control by next election, I hope the people don't forget how the party handled it.

A friend of mine who works for the UCP shared an internal UCP poll with me and Kenney's approval rating in Alberta is 9%. I believe this is public knowledge now because Duane Bratt mentioned it as well in this video:

9% is absolutely the worst approval rating for a politician, possibly ever. To unite everyone against you is a miraculous feat.

I've never liked the UCP, but this is the first time in my life I'm legitimately scared by my government. Our public health care system is in collapse. Children's surgeries are cancelled! And there seems to be no way out of this situation. The ICUs are not going to open up any time soon. Many patients will continue to occupy beds for months to come. When will elective surgeries start happening again? It's not like there was a bunch of empty OR space available for us to reschedule. Waitlists for surgeries were already unacceptably long. We're creating a deficit of medical care that we may never dig ourselves out of. Meanwhile, our government seems relatively unfazed by public anger. Despite the grumblings, all signs point to the UCP staying the course and hanging tight until 2023. They continue to do things to undermine the public health response like not reporting cases in schools, fighting with health care workers, etc. Most recently they've started rolling out a new message: "This is all AHS's fault. They're not worth the money we're paying them."

It is crazy. A good part of the party is fine with all the deaths and wants restrictions dropped. The party is broken. Sadly Kenney staying likely means we're getting more sane policies than otherwise.
As strange as it sounds, it's true. People (within the UCP and a large portion of the public) want Kenny to resign, but to be honest I hope he stays in at least until the next election. If he resigns we'll end up with a former wild rose person leading the charge, and things could really get ugly quickly.

As strange as it sounds, it's true. People (within the UCP and a large portion of the public) want Kenny to resign, but to be honest I hope he stays in at least until the next election. If he resigns we'll end up with a former wild rose person leading the charge, and things could really get ugly quickly.
Better the devil you know than the devil you don't...

Back