4.7K     0 

yyzer

Member Bio
Reaction score
from today's Star.....

Underdog Ryerson nets star architect

Aug 14, 2009 04:30 AM

Christopher Hume

Will Alsop's excellent Toronto adventure is about to get even more excellent.

The peripatetic English architect – best known here for his flying tabletop addition to the Ontario College of Art and Design on McCaul St. – will be spending much more time in Toronto starting next year, when he takes up a teaching position in the architecture department at Ryerson University.

Signing Alsop marks something of a coup for Ryerson. Most observers would have expected him to go with the University of Toronto, which has more prestige and is better known.

"Let's put it this way," says the unconventional architect/painter, "if Harvard were to ask me to do something, I'd probably say no."

As the man who always cheers for the underdog explains it, "I like the graduate department at Ryerson because it's fairly young, it's only been around for a few years, and I like things that are new."

Alsop also insists he will reopen an office in Toronto; though he put out a shingle in 2005, he closed it two years later.

This has been a season of change for the affable Alsop, who won the United Kingdom's highest architectural award, the Stirling Prize, in 2000.

Though he has run his own practice for 30 years, he sold it in 2006 to a large British architectural firm now called Archial. The purchase saved Alsop from bankruptcy, but there were tensions. Alsop's Toronto office, which Archial shut to cut costs, was an example.

Now Alsop has announced he is quitting Archial. The reason, he has said, is because he needs more time "to pursue (his) painting." He has also made it clear, however, that he won't be leaving architecture any time soon. Indeed, he says he will remain with Archial as a consultant. But, Alsop warns, "Don't believe everything you read in a newspaper."

Despite not having a Toronto office, Alsop has been busy since last December doing two subway stations on the TTC's University-Spadina line extension. The stops – Keele and Finch – are still in the early stages of design, but Alsop hopes that the first drawings will be made public some time this fall.

In the U.K., he is well-known for his design of North Greenwich tube station. "When it comes to infrastructure projects," Alsop says, "it doesn't matter whether you're working in London, Toronto, Shanghai or Moscow. There's a lot of politics and a lot of sensitivity regarding cost. But we know how to play the game."

Alsop has always admitted to having a warm spot for Toronto. His OCAD addition made him popular with architectural aficionados, and he's exhibited his paintings here. "I plan to spent more time in Toronto," he says. "Toronto is a good hub. And the natives are nice – usually."

Widely considered the U.K.'s most colourful architect, Alsop is one of those rare practitioners unafraid to take risks. Though this tendency has left him vulnerable to criticism, especially from other architects, he has a worldwide following. As the OCAD project makes clear, he is capable of turning a modest assignment into an iconic building that captures imaginations around the globe.

He is also interested in the relationship between architecture and urban renewal. Some of his largest commissions are from cities such as Manchester, the former manufacturing powerhouse now trying to reinvent itself. Toronto's no Manchester, of course, but there's still plenty of room for Alsop.

Great news! I hope to see his work very soon on those stations. His North Greenwich station blows my mind.

It's fine to attract top architects, which we've been doing, but it's another to properly fund their projects so that we don't get abbreviated versions of Alsops, Fosters, Libeskinds, and Gehrys. Look at what these folks have done in other cities and compare 'em to ours.

^ Lots of the profs love the building, I've noticed. But yes, It really needs an expansion. The studio is absolutely crammed.

Despite not having a Toronto office, Alsop has been busy since last December doing two subway stations on the TTC's University-Spadina line extension. The stops – Keele and Finch – are still in the early stages of design

Aren't Keele and Finch the same station?

http://archrecord.construction.com/yb/ar/article.aspx?story_id=134261316

Alsop Quits Practice for Painting
08/14/2009

Stirling Prize winner hands over day-to-day running of his firm

Will Hurst

British architecture's most colourful personality, Will Alsop, is to leave the practice that bears his name in a dramatic cutting of ties with parent company Archial.

Following 30 years of running a private practice, the 61-year- old has told BD that he will shortly hand over day-to-day management of Battersea-based Alsop to others, in order to devote more time to painting and teaching.

While the Stirling Prize winner will continue to act as a part- time consultant to Archial, his latest manoeuvre has prompted speculation that he could eventually re-establish an independent outfit.

This is despite a show of solidarity from Alsop and Chris Littlemore, chief executive of Archial, a listed firm which retains full ownership of the Alsop division.

"I'm leaving Alsop but will be becoming a consultant [to the firm]," Alsop said: "I will still be associated with their projects and the promotion of new work."

Littlemore said the arrangement would see Alsop's continued involvement in major projects.

But Richard Rogers Partnership founding partner Marco Goldschmied, who made an aborted attempt to extract Alsop's practice from the then SMC Group in 2007, said Archial was kidding itself.

"I'm delighted that Will has finally cut the knot with his slavemasters," Goldschmied said. "But I can't imagine that any client would be fooled with Archial's retention of the name.

"I also can't imagine a world without Will Alsop running a practice in some form or another... and I would expect [his long- term colleagues] to migrate [to join him] in due course."

Control of the Alsop division will pass to managing director Duncan Macaulay and other directors including Jonathan Leah and Max Titchmarsh.

Alsop insisted he remained "devoted" to the practice.

"I started the fucking thing and it's got my name on it," he said. "I want to make sure the work is still as challenging and exciting as it should be."

He said, along with teaching at Ryerson University in Toronto and the Technical University in Vienna, he now intended to spend two days a week or more painting.

Fat director Sean Griffiths, a long-term collaborator, said he believed the growing frustrations of being a creative architect had taken their toll. "Building anything is so project management- driven and the scope for doing what we all love - designing - is becoming minimal," he said.

He had a show at Olga Korper a couple of years ago - each painting was its own unique world, spinning off as many ideas as his buildings.

I have been waiting to hear this news for a couple months now - I heard some grumbling' about this possibility of him reopening his studio here, but now it seems more than likely.

p5

It's nice that he's being unconventional and all, but U of Toronto having more prestige also attracts more top students and professors who make an impact now / will make an impact in the future. I would assume that someone like Alsop would want to be working with the top minds of the future, but.....anyways, good for Ryerson.

as a ryerson alum, i hope to succeed with my own idea and someday make this school a force to be reckoned with internationally...slowly but surely. this kind of attention is always good news.

Back