News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 4.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 12K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 2.2K     0 

androiduk

Senior Member
Member Bio
Joined
Sep 3, 2008
Messages
6,966
Reaction score
1,827
Bloor & Park Rd. St. Andrews church with Casa behind it.

standrews.jpg
 

androiduk

Senior Member
Member Bio
Joined
Sep 3, 2008
Messages
6,966
Reaction score
1,827
St. Andrew-by-the-Lake Anglican Church, Ward's Island.

1884 - constructed on Centre Island.
1959 - cut in half and moved to Ward's Island
1979 - condemned by the city
1980 - abandoned
1984 - restored
1996 - renovated

211941
 

androiduk

Senior Member
Member Bio
Joined
Sep 3, 2008
Messages
6,966
Reaction score
1,827
Elmsley Place near Bay & St. Joseph St. Originally part of John Elmsley's Clover Hill Estate and now a private road owned by the University of Toronto. This was Toronto's first subdivison, originally containing 6 houses (5 remain) built in the 1890s. The street is named after John Elmsley, who's heart is inside an alcohol filled jar in the north wall of nearby St. Basil's church. Tons of interesting history attached to this street and John Elmsley. Google him!


215516
 
Last edited:

androiduk

Senior Member
Member Bio
Joined
Sep 3, 2008
Messages
6,966
Reaction score
1,827
Don Jail, near Broadview and Gerrard

~ completed in 1864, the architect was William Thomas, who also designed St. Lawrence Hall and St. Michael's Cathedral

~ originally described as a "palace for prisoners" it was closed in 1977 because of poor living conditions

~ dozens of hangings were carried out here but the last hanging was in 1962

~ was featured in the 1988 movie Cocktail starring Tom Cruise

~ now serves as the administrative wing of Bridgepoint Hospital


donjail.jpg
 

Top