News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Right on and great news...we have the Spadina subway extension under construction to Vaughan, we now have this all the way from Black Creek to the STC.. all we have to do now is get that planned Sheppard subway funded and started, extend that much needed Bloor Subway line fom Kipling to Mississauga, kickstart some planning on a new DRL line for downtown and yeah, help the folks up on Finch with a brand new LRT line and Toronto will be just fine.:)

any progress is good but I still think its a flaw in thinking to add more east-west routes before adding more north-south routes. All this is going to do is overload the Yonge and Spadina lines. Also it would have been great to see the Eglinton line go all the way to the airport...

@Redroom Studios:

New Subway cars & an upgraded signaling system may help a bit with North-South on the Yonge/Spadina line. But i do agree with youl.

It's about time we started tunnelling Eglinton :D!! And to have two simultaneous tunnelling projects happening at the same time is all the more exciting!

I agree, we probably should focus our future efforts on another north-south line after this round of transit building is near complete.

I am confused... The construction of the launch site (east of Black Creek Drive) is scheduled for July 2011, but this part of the line needs EA, which will take 12-16 months. Does it mean that the construction of the lunch site will take as long as EA?

I am confused... The construction of the launch site (east of Black Creek Drive) is scheduled for July 2011, but this part of the line needs EA, which will take 12-16 months. Does it mean that the construction of the lunch site will take as long as EA?

The original, approved EA for the project (http://www.toronto.ca/involved/projects/eglinton_crosstown_lrt/epr/executive-summary.pdf) covers the launch site east of Black Creek Drive since the western terminus of the original midtown tunnel was Keele. They wouldn't be able to legally commence construction without an approved EA.

The EA update will cover the new underground portions of the line. Basically, what they're doing is digging the hole for the tunnel boring machines at the location they were originally to be launched. You raise an interesting question though. When the EA is updated to permit additional tunnel west of the launch site (to Jane), how will they dig the tunnel? Will they send bores both east and west from the launch site? They may just cut and cover the segment from the Black Creek launch site to the new western terminus.

Another question is will Tim Hudak fill in the TBM launch site after the election in October?

Last edited by a moderator:
Old plan was better.. Oh well at least it's still happening..

It should be going all the way to the airport like it was under Transit City..

I like that its underground like a real subway. What I don't like is the short shortsightedness. Stations built for only 110m long trains. It may take decades but I believe they'll eventually exceed the built capacity even with ATC and then what?? Also, not protecting the former Richview expressway lands for expansion in Etobicoke for a future extension to the airport. Instead of cut & cover(cost a lot less) now they will have to tunnel that section, if it ever happens, in the future.

The original, approved EA for the project (http://www.toronto.ca/involved/projects/eglinton_crosstown_lrt/epr/executive-summary.pdf) covers the launch site east of Black Creek Drive since the western terminus of the original midtown tunnel was Keele. They wouldn't be able to legally commence construction without an approved EA.

The EA update will cover the new underground portions of the line. Basically, what they're doing is digging the hole for the tunnel boring machines at the location they were originally to be launched. You raise an interesting question though. When the EA is updated to permit additional tunnel west of the launch site (to Jane), how will they dig the tunnel? Will they send bores both east and west from the launch site? They may just cut and cover the segment from the Black Creek launch site to the new western terminus.

Another question is will Tim Hudak fill in the TBM launch site after the election in October?

The boring machines goes under Eglinton Avenue because of the narrow width, east of the site. West of EA approval zone can be either bridged or cut & covered, as needed, unless our beloved leader (in his wisdom) says otherwise and has to be tunneled. :(

I've been campaigning for last 10 years for a subway on Eglinton to anyone at who will listen including my local vocal counciler. I mid town east-west transit solution is most important project for city. Too bad not standard rail because in 30 years we'll need it. - ice

The fact that the eglinton line back in the 90's was shut down screwed TTC planning and constructions for that decade the last one and this one. Regardless Hoorah for finally anything being done. It definately sucks that we will have to wait god knows how long. I completely agre another north south line is needed, but this city is essentialy twice as big east west if not several times larger then that as compared to north south. they will likely locate it on jane and maybe another one at victoria park in scarburough. if the jane line goes in they will like run a line from the top of that to the airport. A LRT line running from the west beaches to the east beaches would be a great addition to the system.

Last edited:

Back