News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

It is nice to finally see the sort of densification along Yonge Street from Gerrard to Bloor that should take place along a subway line. The proposed 58 story towers replace one of the most out of place, suburban, decidedly 1970's buildings and the replacement of the current block-long, 2 story, wood-clad monstrosity is most welcome;
It is a shame that the massing proposed seems to thrust 58 stories straight up from street level and does not feature any 'step-back' elements but if there is a place in the city that this sort of scale of development should be placed, this is it; I've been looking forward to the demise of this block for years, thank goodness the economy of this city has finally brought it upon us, for better or worse of what is being proposed to replace it, it is a winner for this section of Yonge.

that podium arrangement that incorporates the parking garage looks hideous, even from this distant vantage point. I realize that this is only somebody's interpretation at this point, but if what we actually get is anything like this then its another lose for this city. I dont know why the vast majority of stuff we are seeing built fails to tie into the surrounding streetscape. I think we need to look to other cities for proper examples of how to do it properly...

When I look at the picture were does the idea it is a low rise neighborhood comes from. Some of those towers are 40 yrs old.
That said not sure if Yonge street could handle a corridor of really tall towers, the street is too narrow.

As this massing model demonstrates , the height concerns over 501 Yonge are unfounded since these towers will be completely dwarfed by Aura just two blocks south

No problems with the height but hope we don't end up with a massive sterile podium like MLSQ. Please copy AURA and step buildings back from the street.... - ice

Back