News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

it appears the police aren't searching for anyone in the rubble, which is good.

Also, Salad King seems unscathed.

More heritage neglect... I KNEW this building couldn't last much longer. Ugh.

That's just crazy. I'm surprised the police haven't closed off the rest of the sidewalk unless the cause is not related to deterioration.

It looks like it was recently renovated to me, and perhaps that when installing that drywall they weakened the brick wall.
Don't think it has anything to do with heritage neglect or deterioration.

That's just crazy. I'm surprised the police haven't closed off the rest of the sidewalk unless the cause is not related to deterioration.

They now have...
4526774788_4b21410ccb_b.jpg

(picture courtesy of Jeff Paris)

I've been informed by the person that took the above photo that: "HMV is still open and are having a 25% off all white sticker sale this weekend!"

Last edited:
I went down and tried to check the place out but they've shut the whole area down.

I saw footage of a golden retriever being used to search the rubble. Dog appeared to be having more fun than any hound I've ever seen.

This is very upsetting, because as one of the nicer heritage structures on this stretch of Yonge, I'm not happy to see it crumbling. I went digging for earlier shots of that facade, and one of the windows is completely out of style, and by the looks of it there's some messy brick work: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...N0K0be4Q19KT8ytpW6vGQ&cbp=12,117.11,,1,-16.51

What I hope will come of this is a serious effort on the city's part to get these landlords to properly revitalize their properties; especially on Yonge Street. While this building doesn't even look terribly rough at first glance, a lot of the strip is in deplorable condition. Impose fines and force work orders. In this case, the facade had better be rebuilt properly and the structure inspected thoroughly.

#
November 25 addition.

Then: 1950. Yonge and Gould, looking E along Gould.

Hard to believe that's an O'Keefe brewery back there, but there was.

ser574_s0574_fl0018_id49378.jpg

Now: October 2009.

DSC_0025.jpg

It looks like it was recently renovated to me, and perhaps that when installing that drywall they weakened the brick wall.
Don't think it has anything to do with heritage neglect or deterioration.

It looks to me that the brick ties were never installed on the new interior stud wall to the old cladding.Or perhaps a structural lintel beam was also taken out.(just speculating on that one)

A solid masonry wall doesn't have ties. When built originally the masonry would have been covered with lath and plaster. All these materials tied together makes qiuite a structurally sound wall. In this case there is definitely a new stud wall left when the bricks fell. Perhaps they renoved the lath and plaster and at the same time weakened the remaining masonry.

I agree with egotrippin, that window is terrible. Doesn't the city impose restrictions on what can be done to the exterior of a heritage building?

Well, now that I see the before picture posted by Ed007, it apparently goes as far back as 1950. Doesn't rule out a post construction change, though either way I find it very odd and out of place.

Those windows you're talking about aren't real windows, but fake ones. As behind where the windows were is a wall.

Back