News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Am I the only one who finds this appalling???

Are we really OK with allowing the SKY to be commercialized? Isn't the sky a public good? Do we really want to live in a world where we can't even look up without having corporate slogans jammed down our throats?

Not to mention the environmental impacts and gratuitous waste of sending up FIVE planes for the job.

I'll agree that the skywriting is kind of cool in itself, from a creative and technological standpoint, but on the balance I think this is a horrible thing.

Are we really OK with allowing the SKY to be commercialized? Isn't the sky a public good? Do we really want to live in a world where we can't even look up without having corporate slogans jammed down our throats?

Not to mention the environmental impacts and gratuitous waste of sending up FIVE planes for the job.

I'll agree that the skywriting is kind of cool in itself, from a creative and technological standpoint, but on the balance I think this is a horrible thing.

Commercialized? It's saying it's a clear day outside..

I don't know exactly what products they want me to buy.. Overreaction much?

^^ The text above says it -- The full slogan was "LIVE CLARITIN CLEAR TODAY". The picture apparently didn't capture the whole thing.

It is ironic that a company trying to sell a product that helps you breathe better from allergies would pollute the air with the emissions of five planes to advertise their product. This is the kind of hypocrisy that ends up on The Daily Show with John Stewart.

Edit: I e-mailed a chastising comment to Merck Canada (the makers of Claratin) about their choice for advertising.

Last edited:
I stitched 2 pics together in order to show everyone what the full slogan looked like:

5693350255_857972108e_z.jpg

And here are the 5 planes:

5693920458_d98cac633d_z.jpg

They kept writing new slogans every 10 minutes or so over the course of an hour. As the writing would drift over the city and across the lake, the planes would return again and write another ad.

I love stuff like this only because it makes me feel like I'm living in Futurama.

I strongly disagree. Toronto is a city of commerce. Commerce makes the word go round. A clever and completely benign marketing message in the sky generates a multitude of employment avenues that benefits society. Pilots, local flight schools, advertising jobs, grounds crew, etc. Claritin is not selling heroine. If you don't like advertising may I suggest retiring to the tranquility of Northern Ontario or perhaps Communist Cuba would be more appropriate.

I strongly disagree... A clever and completely benign marketing message in the sky...

I hardly call the carbon footprint and pollution output of five massive, internal combustion engines of the airplanes, as "completely benign".

So all that wasted energy and pollution to sell perhaps a few dozen extra boxes of allergy medicine? It is this wasteful thinking that makes "capitalism at any cost" style thinking, as socially sensitive as a bulldozer in a china shop.

:(

I strongly disagree. Toronto is a city of commerce. Commerce makes the word go round. A clever and completely benign marketing message in the sky generates a multitude of employment avenues that benefits society. Pilots, local flight schools, advertising jobs, grounds crew, etc. Claritin is not selling heroine. If you don't like advertising may I suggest retiring to the tranquility of Northern Ontario or perhaps Communist Cuba would be more appropriate.

X2

I like the composition of this photo.

Prii buildings are always photogenic.

I also lived in this building for a couple of years.

Back