8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Tuscani01

Member Bio
Reaction score
Looks like we should be expecting to see Artics running on Toronto streets in the coming years. The following is a question and answer from a Toronto Star session with Gary Webster:

Question: Has the TTC ever considered ordering articulated buses in the fleet? If overcrowding is an issue then these larger buses can carry more people without hiring more operators, which is a win-win for everyone. The TTC used to have them and ran on routes such as 29,37, 129 which come to mind. In fact, a lot of routes can tolerate these buses.

Answer: The TTC is, in fact, looking very closely at articulated buses and has some money in its 10-year capital budget for them. We will be looking at fleet needs around buses over the next few years and in 2014 will very likely recommend the purchase of what are called “artics,†assuming all technical specifications can be met. Their reliability has greatly improved over the years, one of the reasons we abandoned artics in the past, so we’re hopeful we can augment our fleet with a new generation of artics in the coming years.

http://www.thestar.com/news/transportation/article/1054522--answers-to-your-questions-about-the-ttc

Its all talk they've been saying that since 2002. Apparently every order since the 7400 Orion VII buses came, should have been artics....

if they are gona go with this plan, wouldn't that mean they will be raising prices again? how will that attract riders?

if they are gona go with this plan, wouldn't that mean they will be raising prices again? how will that attract riders?

Capital purchases come from the capital budget which is borrowed money. Operational expenses come from fares and subsidies from the tax revenue. The purchase price of the vehicle does not directly affect the price at the farebox.

Is there a manufacturer that meets the TTC's technicial specifications? I shudder to think of Orion designing an artic. We really need artics, but I am not holding my breath the TTC will find an manufacturer.

Seriously? Do you think that anyone on Urban Toronto knows, specifically, the TTC's technical specifications? Contact the TTC itself.

It's just a flight of fantasy comment from Mr. Webster anyway as, regardless of who the Mayor of the City of Toronto is in 2014, Webster will no longer by CGM.

But please, feel free to continue wasting your time overthinking his comment anyway.

This question is not a waste of time. The TTC, several years ago, rejected several designs for not fitting their specifications.

The whole point of this forum is to discuss issues and ask questions. Responses like this is the main reason why I left that other public transportation forums.

Seriously? Do you think that anyone on Urban Toronto knows, specifically, the TTC's technical specifications? Contact the TTC itself.

It's not secret knowledge. Like Red Rocket said, the TTC rejected designs before. The TTC's strict specificiations are open knowledge.

It's just a flight of fantasy comment from Mr. Webster anyway as, regardless of who the Mayor of the City of Toronto is in 2014, Webster will no longer by CGM.

And you're sayng I am overthinking comments? You're making a baseless assumption based on the attempt of a now unpopular mayor.

But please, feel free to continue wasting your time overthinking his comment anyway.

I will! Feel free to waste time being an a**!(You're pretty bad at it, though).

It always puzzled me why the TTC doesn't use artics, especially for heavily-used suburban routes like Finch, Don Mills, and Jane. The only difference in operating cost is slightly more fuel used, and you get like 30% more people on the bus than you would compared to a normal bus. If you want to reduce crowding on busy routes, that seems like an obvious choice to me.

OC Transpo has been using artics on the Transitway routes for as long as I can remember, but in the last few years I've seen them being used more and more on regular bus routes as well, specifically the heavily-used ones. It's definitely apparent that there is a higher percentage of artics running OC Transpo routes now than there was even 5 years ago.

It always puzzled me why the TTC doesn't use artics, especially for heavily-used suburban routes like Finch, Don Mills, and Jane. The only difference in operating cost is slightly more fuel used, and you get like 30% more people on the bus than you would compared to a normal bus. If you want to reduce crowding on busy routes, that seems like an obvious choice to me.
The reason TTC doesn't use arctics were Orion IIIs that were mostly retired prematurely and the rest ran till 2000/2001? And no one meets their requirements yet of a long lifespan and stainless steel

MTA and the TTC worked on their reliability standards together. I think MTA has bought some buses outside those specifications due to their size but they would obviously try to maintain those standards. I'm guessing that based on their latest purchases and press releases mentioning passing structural reliability testing that the Nova LFS Articulated bus now meets the TTC requirements as well.

The reason TTC doesn't use arctics were Orion IIIs that were mostly retired prematurely and the rest ran till 2000/2001? And no one meets their requirements yet of a long lifespan and stainless steel

Mississauga Transit's D60 and 1997 D60LF's only lasted 11 and 12 year's respectively. Not good advertisement for artics in the GTA at the time.

Last edited:
In Friday's TTC budget they are suggesting reducing bus purchases by 134, among the other reductions. Articulated buses are also more expensive than the regular buses. I wouldn't hold my breath, though I would like to see them.

Something like this would also be cool for easier access to get on and off.

4ut28.jpg

Back