8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

christiesplits

Member Bio
Reaction score
Driving through South Western Ontario I always find myself spotting Nova Scotia or Newfoundland flags. The immensely cyclical economy of the East Coast in the last century has led to migration of Atlantic residents to western provinces.

Are there certain pockets of Ontario that have uniquely large clusters of former Maritimers and Newfoundlanders?

My Dad's family moved from New Brunswick to Ottawa. I grew up among a family of folks who considered themselves New Brunswickers. As a teen, I vividly remember the day my dad realized he'd spent more of his life living in Ontario than living in New Brunswick.

I can attest that there are Maritimers and their descendants everywhere. Not sure if there are any particular pockets or clusters of them. To the extent that many of them moved as a result of economic conditions, however, I would expect that you would see more of them where there were/are opportunities to be had - so, likely more of them per capita in say, Toronto, than the Upper Ottawa Valley.

My Dad's family moved from New Brunswick to Ottawa. I grew up among a family of folks who considered themselves New Brunswickers. As a teen, I vividly remember the day my dad realized he'd spent more of his life living in Ontario than living in New Brunswick.

I can attest that there are Maritimers and their descendants everywhere. Not sure if there are any particular pockets or clusters of them. To the extent that many of them moved as a result of economic conditions, however, I would expect that you would see more of them where there were/are opportunities to be had - so, likely more of them per capita in say, Toronto, than the Upper Ottawa Valley.

It's fairly incredible the number of Maritimers I know that I engage in on a daily basis. I wonder what the degree of cultural attachment (vs. time away) is. Sobey's might have a good idea where the concentrations are.

AoD

There's also Covered Bridge Chips made famous by Rick Mercer, a Newfoundlander transplanted to Toronto:

Covered Bridge Chips are common throughout Toronto.

My wife and I seem to be anomalies among our Maritimer brethren -- former Haligonians, now Torontonians, who are NOT counting the days until we can move back. Love to visit, still have great memories of our time there, and it will always hold a special place in our lives. But we have no desire to live there permanently again.

I remember when I moved from Toronto to Fredericton in 2004 and the locals would ask me, do you have family here? No. Do you have friends here? No. Then why are you here? We're all trying to leave. Best move I did was come back to Toronto in 2007, but those were still good years.

Barbour Peanut Butter has no added sugar but twice the salt of other peanut butters, and Sussex Ginger Ale is really gingery!

Back