Case Study in Bad Retail

"Failed Pacific Mall" is exactly how I described it to some friends. This thing makes 10 Dundas look like world class shopping.

OK, if that 1st photo really is the main entrance to the "mall", that is unbelievably bad. Unbelievably. No one would feel welcome to go into those metal doors. No wonder no one goes into there.

The inside does look like those Chinese malls at Steeles & Kennedy, except completely empty.

OK, if that 1st photo really is the main entrance to the "mall", that is unbelievably bad. Unbelievably. No one would feel welcome to go into those metal doors. No wonder no one goes into there.

The inside does look like those Chinese malls at Steeles & Kennedy, except completely empty.

Those are the doors when you enter from College Park. They're not even visible when you're walking south through the corridor from the Food Court past Ritchie. To reach the doors you have to first walk down several flights twisting stairs. It's totally unintuitive.

The main entrance would be considered to be the one on Yonge at the northeast corner of the building, where they have escalators and glass doors. That underground entrance from College Park is beyond awful though.

The main entrance would be considered to be the one on Yonge at the northeast corner of the building, where they have escalators and glass doors. That underground entrance from College Park is beyond awful though.

So they have a nicer main entrance then? In that case, it's less shocking.

I always expected the main entrance would be at the corner of Gerrard & Yonge, until now I thought the north-east corner was a temporary entrance. My one visit to Marshalls & Bed/Bath spit me out at the corner of Gerrard & Yonge, if memory serves. Shouldn't it have been the other way around? Have a higher profile entrance at a corner?

^ That's what I was expecting. It only makes sense to have the entrance right at the corner to maximize visibility and accessibility. Was this project reviewed by the design panel?
If so, why wasn't any of this addressed? I can't understand how a panel of 'experts' could look over the plans and say, YEP, looks good!

CIMG7235.jpg

Attachments

• CIMG7235.jpg
    CIMG7235.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 952
^ That's what I was expecting. It only makes sense to have the entrance right at the corner to maximize visibility and accessibility. Was this project reviewed by the design panel?
If so, why wasn't any of this addressed? I can't understand how a panel of 'experts' could look over the plans and say, YEP, looks good!

Especially a such an important project due to location & size. It blows the mind.

Back