8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

HHC

Member Bio
Reaction score
What do you guys think? Specifically between Bloor and St. Clair.

Last edited:
Depends on what you mean by "aesthetic."

I would say decidedly not, although the areas immediately adjacent to the west are lovely.

The big trouble with Avenue Road was that they widened it into a speedway around 1960, which leaves a lot of older structures bordering it looking rather compressed and frightened...

The historic apartment buildings are impressive, as are the churches, the modern towers north of St. Clair, the old MoE building, De La Salle arena, the beauty of the scale of the building opposite Yorkville, and, of course, the UCC tower. But, there just isn't anything that brings it all together. Like Adma said above, the only commonality uniting Avenue Road is the heavy traffic whizzing by.

Last edited:
I love the apartments just north of St. Clair !

Would you guys believe those go for 800K plus ! That's for a 1 bedroom.

I've never understood why the apartments around Yonge and St. Clair go for so much ! More then yorkville really.

Having done the walk a few times I have to say the area south of the midtown rail line felt very distressful as a pedestrian and not what I would call aesthetic.

Having done the walk a few times I have to say the area south of the midtown rail line felt very distressful as a pedestrian and not what I would call aesthetic.

It's really not meant for pedestrians :) ... well wait, when you get closer to Bloor (but north of it), there's a very nice stretch.

The street is too wide so as a pedestrian it feels cold and uninviting

As far as aesthetics, you still have the issue with power lines as they are not buried

But as far as TO streets go it certainly is one of the nicer ones

Cost to bury the power lines

Has a cost study ever been done? I recognize the benefits are mostly aesthetic but it sure would make a wonderful improvement to many city avenues.

I second the highway comment. It makes it one of the loudest streets in Toronto. Visually appealing, audibly grating.

Avenue Road/Bloor and Avenue Road/St Clair are indeed the most visually pleasing sections of the city.

Avenue Road/Bloor and Avenue Road/St Clair are indeed the most visually pleasing sections of the city.

Avenue/St. Clair is just a hodge podge of high rise apartment buildings, I don't see what makes it so pleasing, aside from the nicer landscaping. I also think Avenue is much too wide and there is far too much car traffic to make it an enjoyable street to walk on.

I think the area around St. Lawrence Market (Front St., King St.) and Yorkville are far more pleasing given the superior architecture and smaller streets.

Although the neighborhoods surrounding Avenue/Bloor all the way up to Avenue/St.Clair (and beyond) are some of the best residential areas in town, Avenue Road itself is not much of a walkable street. I do love the neighborhood for its old, historic charm though.

Back