News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Admiral Beez

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
My daughter is thinking of pursing a degree in geography. Many of the programs I’ve looked into seem to focus on urban planning or environmental studies, and many also seem to focus on careers in information technology, but I think she’s more interested in the study of physical geography. She’s adamant that she doesn’t want a career sitting at a desk in a cubical in front of a screen, so field work is crucial I’d say.

Here‘s a list of List of all University Geography Programs in Canada https://www.cag-acg.ca/canadian-geography-departments

My daughter is thinking of pursing a degree in geography. Many of the programs I’ve looked into seem to focus on urban planning or environmental studies, and many also seem to focus on careers in information technology, but I think she’s more interested in the study of physical geography. She’s adamant that she doesn’t want a career sitting at a desk in a cubical in front of a screen, so field work is crucial I’d say.

Here‘s a list of List of all University Geography Programs in Canada https://www.cag-acg.ca/canadian-geography-departments
As someone who has a Bachelor's Degree from the University of Toronto's Human Geography program, it has a good physical geography program. Yes, I am that biased.

I am also an alumnus of Ryerson University's Digital Geography program. However, you said that your daughter isn't too interested in GIS, so I don't recommend Ryerson to her.

If I had to choose between the University of Toronto or Ryerson myself, I would choose the former. Ryerson is amazing and all, but my heart goes to the University of Toronto.

As someone who has a Bachelor's Degree from the University of Toronto's Human Geography program, it has a good physical geography program. Yes, I am that biased.

I am also an alumnus of Ryerson University's Digital Geography program. However, you said that your daughter isn't too interested in GIS, so I don't recommend Ryerson to her.

If I had to choose between the University of Toronto or Ryerson myself, I would choose the former. Ryerson is amazing and all, but my heart goes to the University of Toronto.
Thanks Johnny. Is your career now related to your education?

She’s leaning towards the distant schools, like Lakehead, Laurentian and Nippising for their proxmility to the wilderness, plus Carleton and Trent for their closer to home location. My instructions, or advice to my daughter is that whatever school she attends I want her to network like hell, join the trade associations, pursue all the summer internships (no survival jobs like I had to do to make tuition) and opportunities to make connections. And then if you have a passion for the subject get your Masters and also in-demand skills and most importantly certifications and anything else that reduces the number of applicants to whatever job you want to do. These kids are my life project, but I don’t care what they pursue provided they‘re happy, and thinking of and targeting a career path. A woman needs her own money and power.

Thanks Johnny. Is your career now related to your education?

She’s leaning towards the distant schools, like Lakehead, Laurentian and Nippising for their proxmility to the wilderness, plus Carleton and Trent for their closer to home location. My instructions, or advice to my daughter is that whatever school she attends I want her to network like hell, join the trade associations, pursue all the summer internships (no survival jobs like I had to do to make tuition) and opportunities to make connections. And then if you have a passion for the subject get your Masters and also in-demand skills and most importantly certifications and anything else that reduces the number of applicants to whatever job you want to do. These kids are my life project, but I don’t care what they pursue provided they‘re happy, and thinking of and targeting a career path. A woman needs her own money and power.
My career is not very related to my education these days however.

GIS is still my passion.

Memorial and Laurentian come to mind before all else, just off the top of my head.

Guelph is also well regarded in the industry for it's environmental and ecology programs, though I don't have first hand experience there.

@Johnny Au @WislaHD

Kid #1 has applied at Queens, Brock, McMaster and Trent, all in Geography. Apparently the goal was distance from home, but close enough that the parents can deliver snacks. We now wait until April.

I wonder how Covid changes my kid’s chances. Presumably the number of international students will be lower, and many families are struggling economically and thus considering univerities closer to home or cheaper colleges.

She’s adamant that she doesn’t want a career sitting at a desk in a cubical in front of a screen, so field work is crucial I’d say.
I think this is a little bit of the ignorance of youth at play here! 😆

I am sure all those universities will accept her assuming shes gotten her university requirements and high school grades in order.

I think McMaster might have the best reputation for geography specifically, but at the undergraduate level for a program in a faculty of arts like Geography, you can't really go wrong with any Southern Ontario university.

Back