News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

M

miketoronto

Some pics of Bari, Italy, the city my family comes(they lived in a town about 10KM from the centre of Bari) from in Italy. Some of the pics are dated and are not the best views of this city. But I hope it gives you a look at this amazing city. The gem of southern Italy.

Bari Central Station with the fountain.
61365804GfLRxF_ph.jpg

CB387_bari.jpg

CB403_bari.jpg

Porto Vecchio.
CB388_bari.jpg

Central Bari.
CB395_bari.jpg

Mvc-527f.jpg

3844.jpg

Bari.jpg

2228.jpg

Teatro Petruzzelli(live theatre venue)
73217311nLohjD_ph.jpg

Via Sparano. This is the main street of Bari. It is a pedestrian only shopping area.
bari_sparano.jpg

socrates.jpg

137032016btMdnl_ph.jpg

75912778AKALDw_fs.jpg

Corso Cavour, a famous street to walk down in the evening.
10bari4.JPG

St Nicholas Stadium.
STADIO1.jpg

Lungomare(waterfront)Central Bari.
CB397_bari.jpg

hp1.jpg

MVC-518F.jpg

CB398_bari.jpg

Palase Fish Market, where they take the fish fresh out of the water for you.
pescatoriy.jpg

60952929onfBJi_ph.jpg

Castello Svevo
CB399_bari.jpg

Bari, Zona Moderna.
61365889hflnYk_ph.jpg

61365969ZWCIam_ph.jpg

Bari Vecca(old town)
CB400_bari.jpg

CB402_bari.jpg

CB405_bari.jpg

71367648o HUwDP_ph.jpg

60953360vqTzCx_ph.jpg

MVC-474F.jpg

bari_vecchia.jpg

BariVecchia01.jpg

60952873adbfLT_ph.jpg

La Basilica di S. Nicola di Bari
e1.jpg

e11.jpg

e6.jpg

La Feste Di San Nicola(St Nicholas Festival), when the city has a huge party, including parading the St Nicholas Statue around the city and on a boat.
imm8.jpg

imm5.jpg

imm4.jpg

imm3.jpg

imm10.jpg

bari-statue-sea-lg.jpg

imm9.jpg

Barese people(as people from the Metro Bari region are called) are HOT HOT HOT. Don't you agree :)
img_1452.jpg

img_0482.jpg

img_9781.jpg

While the Italians are stylish, they realy knew how to build cities.

Thanks Mike!

I keep looking at the pics, but I don't see Santa. Hell, I don't even see snow. In fact, there are palm trees to be seen. None of those people look like elves, either; and some of them look like they're about to get naughty rather than being nice.

Its the City of Santa Clause, because Bari City is the home to the body of St Nicholas.

The residents of Bari went to Turkey and stole the bones of St Nicholas, because they wanted a saint for their city. They built the famous St Nicholas Church in the old town, and his bones are still there.

Each year the city holds the huge St Nicholas Festival. Thats why its the home of Santa Clause :)

Right now there is a debate with Turkey wanting the bones back. But Bari says the bones have been there for centuries now, and there is no need to give them back to Turkey. What was done should just be left under the rug now, and life should go on.

Thats why things in the city are named after St Nicholas. Like the St Nicholas Soccor Stadium, etc.

Now you go 10KM over into the town my dad was born in. And over there the saint they respect is the Virgin Mary. They have a huge parade and party also. And we actually have a mini one here in Toronto each year also, where all the people from my dads down and Bari area meet up.

This is where St Nicolas is kept. This is the crypt in the Basilica San Nicola di Bari.
crypt-bari-wmaster.jpg

How many times do you need to be corrected?

Santa Claus.

Santa Clause? Santa Clause? There is no Santa Clause?

Oh no!:(

^Kinda sucks, doesn't it?

I wonder what part of Italy the Easter Bunny is from?

Back