Not putting a beautiful mural on both sides of the silos seems like a huge missed opportunity here.

Images via Google image search.
5c804b5a4f465.image.jpg
5603.jpg
colorful-silo-murals-greencastle-indiana-steve-gass.jpg
lg-1200x600.jpg

Not putting a beautiful mural on both sides of the silos seems like a huge missed opportunity here.

Images via Google image search.
View attachment 365028View attachment 365029View attachment 365030View attachment 365031
We actually have a similar but bigger idea in mind! In partnership and with funding provided by the Waterfront BIA, we have worked with Moment Factory to produce a high-level concept and feasibility study for the installation of projectors on the site with which to transform the silos into outdoor canvasses for possible surface-mapped projection shows, public art exhibits, and/or outdoor movie nights. We still have some in-house work to do on this idea before taking next steps, but in the interim, I can share that the plaza construction (starting next summer) will deliver the below grade conduits (as guided by Moment Factory's technical input and advice) needed to future-proof the site for this possibility; and that the Canada Ireland Foundation has agreed to host the required IT infrastructure in their "Corleck Building" project. Many parts and partners in this project are working together to hopefully make this concept a reality.

We'll have more to share on this next year. If you're not familiar with Moment Factory, they are a Canadian company (Montreal-based) that designs, installs and manages leading-edge multimedia shows worldwide. They actually have an excellent installation on at the Toronto Zoo right now. https://momentfactory.com/home

I think in Quebec City there are free movie screenings projected on their silos in the summer.

Last edited:
We actually have a similar but bigger idea in mind! In partnership and with funding provided by the Waterfront BIA, we have worked with Moment Factory to produce a high-level concept and feasibility study for the installation of projectors on the site with which to transform the silos into outdoor canvasses for possible surface-mapped projection shows, public art exhibits, and/or outdoor movie nights. We still have some in-house work to do on this idea before taking next steps, but in the interim, I can share that the plaza construction (starting next summer) will deliver the below grade conduits (as guided by Moment Factory's technical input and advice) needed to future-proof the site for this possibility; and that the Canada Ireland Foundation has agreed to host the required IT infrastructure in their "Corleck Building" project. Many parts and partners in this project are working together to hopefully make this concept a reality.

We'll have more to share on this next year. If you're not familiar with Moment Factory, they are a Canadian company (Montreal-based) that designs, installs and manages leading-edge multimedia shows worldwide. They actually have an excellent installation on at the Toronto Zoo right now. https://momentfactory.com/home

I have to say, the level of creativity (and communications!) on display on this project are an extraordinarily welcome breath of fresh air. Can we have you and/or other members of the project team breath some life into virtually every department at the City?

I have to say, the level of creativity (and communications!) on display on this project are an extraordinarily welcome breath of fresh air. Can we have you and/or other members of the project team breath some life into virtually every department at the City?
Honestly, we need more people like you! This is the kind of energy and creativity that would very much benefit our bureaucracy and ultimately our city! I'm also very impressed by the short period of time between the adoption of the Bathurst Quay Neighbourhood Plan and its implementation.

i was in the area so dropped by to check out the light test. it looks great. you can really see the potential that these silos can bring this area with effective lighting. kudos to all involved View attachment 352281View attachment 352282View attachment 352283

and if they can get a restaurant and/or patio on top of these silos, it would have one of the nicest views in the city.

View attachment 352284

Wow….just beautiful. They look like giant silver birch tree trunks lit up at night. How Canadian is that 🙂😊

Glad the group here saw this! We actually have a professional photographer (funding courtesy of the Waterfront BIA) coming down to the site Monday morning to record a time lapse of this before we 'fix' it.

But not to worry - now that we've seen the potential of this and the tremendous reaction (that tweet has been seen +100K times and shared around the world), there's already discussion underway how we could intentionally and permanently recreate this effect. Would be amazing to have multiple small lenses installed in various locations throughout the silos. Discreet enough so as not to clutter or distract from the clean concrete forms, and at different heights and angles to create different effects.

So much interesting potential here, and I think reinforces that sometimes we can accomplish more by doing less when it comes to old buildings. Will gladly share details on release of the time lapse by photographer Jonathan Gazze (who also shot our up-lighting test back in September 2021).

Cheers.

Back