IMG_4354.jpg

IMG_4360.jpg

IMG_4362.jpg

IMG_4363.jpg

Posted by VanLaw at SSP:

and by CorbeauNoir:

Last edited:
Press conference sometime within the next week or next renaming to "Telus ParK"

A video of the roof opening on opening night - and you can see the cool lighting displays on the clerestory panels:

[video=youtube;dZRr6D8-tVI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=dZRr6D8-tVI[/video]

Last edited:
I think it's beautiful but not very practical, I've heard you cannot open or close the roof if it is raining. I guess it doesn't rain much in Vancouver.

That's because the roof fabric bunches when you open it and the drainage disappears as a result, so the weight of the water would cause undue stress. They just base the opening and closing on weather forecasts. The floor of the stadium has been outfitted with a new drainage system so it can handle downpours if the roof is open.
Also, since it's fabric, you can't open or close it in high winds, either - think of opening an umbrella in a windstorm.

All in all, its very good from a re-use / recycling / redevelopment perspective, rather than tearing it down and building a wholly new stadium (or two) like Seattle did.

Ha, for me, BC Place and rain go hand in hand. I used to cut through BC Place from Robson Street to my Main Street dive. It always seemed to be a dreary rainy evening. Can you still walk around it, then loop around False Creek to Main?

Yup, the concourse is still the same, with teh same access points (the Terry Fox arch was demolished and replaced with statutes though). The Plaza of Nations is slated to be redeveloped too, but will include a public plaza.

Back