These photos taken at end of June - showing progress of Lucullus Cafe - interior almost done
IMG_7550a.png

This is one of the 4 or 5 stalls/kitchens for the the City's attempt at St.Lawrence market concept here
IMG_7564.JPG

Progress of St.Lawrence Market type stalls seems done,...
IMG_9140.JPG

From rear - shows reflection of apartment building from behind
IMG_9142.JPG

Section 37 Community Benefit from Sorbara Beacon Condo at 5200 Yonge includes a strip of retail space along its ground floor north-side consisting of 4 full-kitchen "St Lawrence Market" style stalls that was conveyed to City:
- CaterToronto is the "head tenant" that operates the Food Learning Innovation Place (F.L.I.P.) and basically sub-let the 4 full-kitchen "St Lawrence Market" style stalls to Food-Incubator tenants - low rent for innovative restaurant start-ups on 2-year term

Opened last week:
- Bun Haus: epic stuffed buns & soups
- Chic Peas Veg: Eritrean & Ethiopian Vegan food
- Da Endz: Jamaican-fusion comfort dishes

Around Christmas:
- Tate: Lebanese, Palestinian, & Indonesian eats

Spring 2022:
- BADfood: all day breakfast foods representative of Toronto’s diversity

Since UrbanToronto offices are across the street, maybe the guinea-pigs,... err, I mean mods can report back on food quality,...

This project was noteworthy for how far off the mark the renderings were in terms of the public realm. Here's what was depicted, showing high-quality pavers in an interesting mosaic pattern, lush and healthy street trees, and flowers/flowering shrubs with tasteful colours. The podium roof was also apparently to have flowers and lush landscaping.

Here's the actual public realm. It's mostly utilitarian concrete pavement, small trees, and no flowers or shrubs but rather generic low-maintenance ornamental grasses in tiny planters. That's what we get despite the fact that the tax base increased significantly with all that new density. The landscape design on the podium roof doesn't appear to have been realized either.

Agreed, it's a disappointment, mind you the building it self I would argue came out at least somewhat resembling the renderings.
In terms of the side walk finishing, the only thing I wonder about, how does the re-imagine Yonge project play into this ? Who knows when that'll happen now (I can't recall when it was extended too) but when this project was built it was meant to happen in the more immediate future, did that play a role at all ? Probably not ...

That's really unfortunate, considering how hard it is to start a new business in the restaurant industry, nevermind here in this city. I never knew this project was even completed, but it makes sense that it is.

That's really unfortunate, considering how hard it is to start a new business in the restaurant industry, nevermind here in this city. I never knew this project was even completed, but it makes sense that it is.
Crazy story. Highlights the lack of competence and foresight at city hall.

Given i been to the food hall once...a good concept just lack of customers due to lack of visibility and also no marketing effort was put into it. anything done by the government will always fail just a reality.

Agreed completely and this area i.e. NYCC - restaurants tend to do really well (yes there are nuances here i.e. what type and the like) - look at how many there are between Finch and Sheppard ... also note how few vacancies ... compare that too many other areas in the city ... so the potential was there but it was a complete failure.

Back