Wallman seems to be doing another Tableau with the brick framing motif on the tower. Nonetheless, it's a great design for North York Centre--especially the podium and landscaping. The only problem might be the mechanical box--it looks huge in the first rendering and unintegrated with the architecture.

Be careful, Never forget Centrium a big fraud. Won't buy any building not constructed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

St.Lawrence Market style marketplace going in Sorbara Beacon!

Retail will include a St.Lawrence Market style / farmer's market food marketplace.

Odd ... given that is suppose to be going in Gibson sqaure ..

Taal, unless you know something even City Planning doesn't know,... you are mistaken.

First of all Gibson Square can NOT support a St.Lawrence Market type open market. Gibson Square has only a few ground level retail space along Yonge and they're all enclosed by walls - not open concept retail space. The total retail space at Gibson Square is minimal and it looks like they'll be ready to open in a month or so.

Sorbara's Beacon WILL have the St.Lawrence Market style marketplace and we should expect it in about 2.5 years time. Maybe given the St.Lawrence Market style marketplace they should change the development name from Beacon to Bacon! :rolleyes: Sorbara's Beacon already have all the necessary city permits from City Planning. :eek: Sorbara's Beacon condo units are on sale now. Yeah, there's an interesting concept,... get city permit first and then sell condo units! :rolleyes: Damn,.... I really hate defending Sorbara,... now, I'm gonna have to wash my mouth out with soap!

Instead of that crazy concept started by Bazis where they started selling EmeraldPark Units in July 2008 before they had any City Planning approvals and thus didn't even have an idea of how many floors they would get,... Emerald Park is still under construction now - over 6 years later! Actually, Bazis started this trend at 1 Bloor East a year or two earlier and look what happened there,... nothing built,... well not their building being built anyways. :rolleyes: Now, condo buyers are regularly putting down their deposits and then putting their life on hold for 5+ years as they wait for their condos to be approved and then built!

Speaking of which,.. Centrium development just next door to the north,.... same thing, unproven unheard of new developer with no local experience or reputation selling condo units that had not received any of the necessary permits from City Planning,... what could go wrong??? Now a developer that can't be found. About $15 million of deposit money missing,... A Lawyer that,... well, she's a lawyer - why would anyone trust a lawyer?!?!?! Condo buyers/investors really need to do their due diligence instead of just dropping deposits left and right expecting to flip for profit all the time. I mean seriously, a developer nobody ever heard of markets a twin tower condo and hotel with large indoor Korean mall way before City Planning even anything,... come on when the developer starts claiming Hilton Hotel,... in North York,... that gotta be a dead giveaway! This area could barely support a Novotel! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Why are you so serious? Are you a real estate agent ? If you search 5200 Yonge, Sorbara posted this advertising in Oct 31 2011, 3 years later they

changed the name to beacon building. I don't say they are cheating but they are so weird.

also New owner at 5220 Yonge G Group is so weird too. Project manager is disappeared, their web never metion they are going to build anything at this location.

I would say G group at 5220 Yonge is a big joke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

no, the better statement is "never buy a building from a new developer"

Tridel is never going to run away with your money.

no, the better statement is "never buy a building from a new developer"

Tridel is never going to run away with your money.

Why are you so serious? Are you a real estate agent ? If you search 5200 Yonge, Sorbara posted this advertising in Oct 31 2011, 3 years later they

changed the name to beacon building. I don't say they are cheating but they are so weird.

also New owner at 5220 Yonge G Group is so weird too. Project manager is disappeared, their web never metion they are going to build anything at this location.

I would say G group at 5220 Yonge is a big joke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why are you so serious? Are you the real Betty Li who's leading a group of cheated condo-buyers at Centrium?
http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2014/09/02/some_condo_investors_money_could_be_returned.html

Yes, Sorbara group initiated zoning changes here in June 2010 and initiated city development application soon after which included intial rendering of this project. Sorbara is the name of the developer/land owner. Beacon is just a marketing name for the development. City Planning names it as per the lot address and development application number and files it as such.

Like I said in my previous post, this Sorbara Beacon development is more legit than anything we've seen in North York City Centre since Bazis Emerald Park came to market to sell condo units in 2008 before they even submitted their development applications. Sorbara Beacon development is approved by the City Planning and they already have all their required city building permits and could technically start construction now! But they are marketing their condo units for sale now,...

Betty Li, if you're really the same Betty Li that's spokesperson for the Centrium condo buyers who lost their condo deposit,.... you've obviously didn't do your due diligence with regards to Sorbara Beacon development. You're alledging that this development is somehow weird or odd,... but Sorbara Beacon development has gone through the city development application stages (started June 2010) and now have all their necessary city permits to begin construction and they are marketing now. Sorbara Beacon developement is actually going through all the proper process that it's supposed to,... namely get all city approvals and building permits before they actually market the condos for sale. Betty Li, you and the other condo buyers of Centrium should have done some due diligence with regards to Centrium before you put down your deposits on condo development that didn't have city development approval or any building permits at the time of your deposits.

Look I really hate defending Sorbara because of how Greg Sorbara as Ontario Minister of Finance and director at York University managed to get the Spadina subway extension extended northward to York University and into the middle of his riding at Jane and Highway 7 when this extension wasn't even on the TTC's radar! As soon as the announcement was made, overnight the land owners anywhere close to this new Subway route saw their land value increase by 50%,.... and coincidentally, Sorbara group had a number of properties near the proposed route,.... you do the math.

In addition, by extending the Spadina Subway north from Downsview Station, they minimized the chance of Spadina subway being extended eastward along Sheppard to connect with the Sheppard Stubway line at Yonge and Sheppard - this was the original plan for Sheppard Subway line before Mike Harris hand it cut back. Downsview Station was build with the option of turning eastward along Sheppard or going north to York University.

Last edited:
Please Sunnyray, stay on topic. You are wrong about the potential eastward turn from north of Downsview station, but this is the wrong thread for that discussion. If you want to get into that, find the right thread in the Transport section.

Secondly, developers sell units in condominiums all over this city before they have the zoning approvals in place. Bazis were by no means the first to try it at One Bloor. I'd say at the bare minimum half of all condos getting into the marketing phase in Toronto do not have those approvals yet. Nobody lost their deposits in that situation, by the way.

The lack of zoning approvals had nothing to do with the failure of Centrium. That seems to have happened owing to a mixture of ineptness and corruption on the part of the principals at that development. It's certainly too early to have decided what portion of the blame for its failure should be laid at the feet of the investors. We will see how that situation plays out, and who knows, analyzing Centrium's failure may provoke some changes to the system in the future. Nevertheless…

Betty Li: This is not the right thread to talk about the Centrium failure. The properties may be adjacent, but this project has nothing whatsoever to do with it and there is no reason at all to believe that Beacon would have a similar outcome.

Secondly, do not continue with the endless exclamation marks in your posts. Use standard language, or your time on UrbanToronto will be limited.

You will also want to become more familiar with members on UrbanToronto. It not okay to accuse other members of having an ulterior motive, even indirectly "Are you a real estate agent ?" just because they do not have the same point of view as you. Innsertnamehere, for example, is a respected member of UrbanToronto with 5,566 posts at the time of this writing. Take that number of posts as an indication that the member may have some knowledge worth considering. You are certainly encouraged to ask questions or to disagree, but the accusations will not help your cause.

Last edited:
Good to see that ugly section of Yonge finally get developed.

Pretty much all of North York City Centre is ugly. Only a few buildings in that area are attractive (such as Raymond Moriyama's clock tower building at Mel Lastman Square).

Pretty much all of North York City Centre is ugly. Only a few buildings in that area are attractive (such as Raymond Moriyama's clock tower building at Mel Lastman Square).

I've lived here for over 2 years and I have to agree. Most of the stretch looks like hell. It is getting better, but the only section that doesn't turn my stomach is from Sheppard up to Park Home/Empress Ave. Things look a little better at Finch, but before you get to Steeles you have to go through what looks like the remnants of a third-world war zone.

I'll never understand the owner apathy and lack of pride in many of the buildings and homes around here (heck, the city in general). What a waste.

I've lived here for over 2 years and I have to agree. Most of the stretch looks like hell. It is getting better, but the only section that doesn't turn my stomach is from Sheppard up to Park Home/Empress Ave. Things look a little better at Finch, but before you get to Steeles you have to go through what looks like the remnants of a third-world war zone.

I'll never understand the owner apathy and lack of pride in many of the buildings and homes around here (heck, the city in general). What a waste.

Those stretch of Yonge Street that looks like hell (old post war plaza with stores on ground level and appartment above),.... do you think anyone would ever buy them to renovate them and restore them to their former glory??? Seriously,...

Why would current owner waste money on renovation when property will likely be sold in 5 - 10 years,... and current or new owner will just demolish everything anyways. When they demolish, they don't care what condition the property is in! For many of these properties, if they spend 10K, 50K, 100K to renovate their property,... it's not like they'll get that money back when they sell,.... new owner just want land,... building - house will be demolished! The only renovation you see is as property owner try to maintain a minimum state of good repair in order to limit their liability.

I live in a post war bungalow close to Yonge,... every 2-3 weeks we get unsolicitated real estate agents and buyers knocking on our door inquiring to buy. If I renovate, it's for my own enjoyment,... not as investment - buyer won't pay extra for renovation, they just want to demolish property. Why would I sell at market? It's a big lot, I could get significantly more than market by spliting the lot myself, developing-rebuilding and then selling myself,...

Back