8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Observer Walt

Member Bio
Reaction score
Daniels, who are developing the Film Festival complex on King between Widmer and John, have recently purchased the parking lot at 21 Widmer Street, just to the north (south of Adelaide). The site has 17,585 square feet of area, and 187 feet of frontage along Widmer, more than enough for a condo tower, or maybe two.

Pinnacle International, who built "Pinnacle" at Bay and Harbour, and who are now starting the big project at Hurontario and Eglinton in Miss., have bought two other parking lots just north of TIFF. One is at the southwest corner of Adelaide and John (32,910 square feet), and the other is at the southeast corner of Adelaide and John (15,120 square feet). There would be an opportunity to have two towers across from each other at this corner, maybe with coordinated architecture.

I don't have further details of proposed developments yet, but it looks like three parking lots will be disappearing, and the Lightbox will have some neighbours which will hopefully be worthy of it.

As an aside, Pinnacle paid $802 per square foot of site area, up significantly from the range of $500 to $600 which has prevailed in this part of town until quite recently. At that price, we can expect something fairly large and significant.

This site was discussed in this post partly quoted below:

Unfortunately, I didn't make it to the session until after this site's presentation had begun, so I'm a little sketchy on the details. From what I gather, the site has been acquired by a new developer who has also acquired at least some more surrounding land and is planning to make a new re-zoning application with a different proposal.

He claimed that no definitive plans existed for the new development, and unlike the multi-view renders, shadow-impact studies and floorplans of the others presentations, this guy was limited to taping to the wall a copy of a survey with highlighter marks on it. As for the additional sites that have been acquired, they at least include the city-owned laneway that runs along the eastern boundary of the existing site. Another attendee told me after the presentation (but was far from sure) that the new developer had also put at least one of the north and south neighbouring properties under contract, and maybe both (or one conditionally).

The only indication he would give as to built form was that it "wouldn't be taller than the 47-storey Festival Tower" but that they would be requesting more height than the original proposal had already secured.

Bill

it seems the developers are still positive about new projects in T.O....nothing but good news!

This latest news inspired me to try and map the extraordinary changes that the area from Yonge to Spadina (south of Queen) is experiencing. I've noted as many of the taller projects as I could think of..... really quite astonishing changes in density and height.

downtownwest.jpg

3D - way to paint the town green! very exciting to see all that action mapped out!

my question is the 45s you have marked on the northwest corner of Yonge + Front ... beside the Hockey Hall of Fame. I am not familiar with this proposal and I do like the building that exists there now (though I dont know what its called). Whats up with that?

It's BCE 3... stalled, but approved so who knows ... if Brookfield keeps the petal to the metal while we have some office tower action.... It's just west of the old BMO hockey cathedral at the corner of Yonge/Front. And yes... the hybrid modernist creature built on top of the historical facade would be sacrificed.... sorry.

That map is pretty darn amazing

There is a long standing 37 storey res/hot approved beside 18 York and two 20 somethings on podiums for the former railway yard on the NE corner of Front & Spadina to the SW corner of Blue Jay Way & Wellington. On Brookfield's website, BCE 3 or is it Brookfield Place 3 is currently leasing as 36 storeys.

Great work! (Also, some interesting low-rise projects in the area including the proposed LEED Platinum building on Queen at Simcoe, the low-rise at Queen and McCaul, and The Victory on King West, west of Spadina.)

I think this should be added to either the development or the 400+ thread. It helps orient where developments are in relation to each other.

Great map, maybe 'someone' could create similar maps for all the downtown area? (Bathurst to the Don and north of Bloor to the lake??) and create a 'map page' so one can more easily find individual project pages?

I have a few similar maps, that I did last year. They are a bit out of date, but should still be interesting.

TorontoDowntown.jpg

Downtown.jpg

Bill

It's BCE 3... stalled, but approved so who knows ... if Brookfield keeps the petal to the metal while we have some office tower action.... It's just west of the old BMO hockey cathedral at the corner of Yonge/Front. And yes... the hybrid modernist creature built on top of the historical facade would be sacrificed.... sorry.

hey, thanks for the reply... I did know about BCEIII but I assumed it was long since dead. At one point I had the original render with all 3 towers but cant seem to find it anymore... anybody else have that one handy?

P.S. - Mongo - good map work as well. you guys have a lot more ambition than me...

Back