Blatchford-.jpg

From the link, renderings look pretty good although judging by the setting of the building I feel like its more of a placeholder rendering than anything else.

So from audit meeting today, the first housing started construction in 2019, occupied in 2020. Four years later, there are now, at this point in time today, 84 townhome units occupied. By the end of the year, should be another 40ish occupied for around 120-125 units occupied.

So from audit meeting today, the first housing started construction in 2019, occupied in 2020. Four years later, there are now, at this point in time today, 84 townhome units occupied. By the end of the year, should be another 40ish occupied for around 120-125 units occupied.
Other snippets I caught:

They have a signed agreement for one 4-6 storey building (presumably Crimson Cove's), with three others "just days" away from signing. Each will supposedly bring around 90 more units. Also, of the 195 townhouse lots being developed in Stage 6, they're in talks with a developer interested in developing 60 lots.

Other snippets I caught:

They have a signed agreement for one 4-6 storey building (presumably Crimson Cove's), with three others "just days" away from signing. Each will supposedly bring around 90 more units. Also, of the 195 townhouse lots being developed in Stage 6, they're in talks with a developer interested in developing 60 lots.

These points stood out to me as well. There was also a hint that some Housing Accelerator Fund money will be going towards projects in Blatchford. I have found that the Blatchford discussion seems to ignore the 4-6 storey part of the plan. That is what hasn't been started yet and that is what will bring the real density. If they can announce 3-4 of those projects by the end of the year, that's hundreds of units and should hopefully quiet some SFH talk.

One thing that also stood out - Admin pointed out that the plan has always been 30,000 people "living, working and learning" in Blatchford. I have always heard it as 30,000 residents. "Living, working and learning" is very different...

Other snippets I caught:

Definitely Sohi and Cartmell sounded the most concerned about the progress and info that was reported and not reported. City admin could not even answer how many units under construction right now - nothing like being prepared for a fairly obvious question.

The most positive was Stevenson and Paquette with regards to how things are going.

I wonder if this is one of the 90 unit buildings - which isn't an apartment, they are 3 townhome complexes. It's currently been on their website for a little while.

Screenshot_20240415-154527_Samsung Internet.jpg

But the sign has been up for quite a while with not a single stake in the ground - yet.

Screenshot_20240415-154310_Samsung Internet.jpg

Definitely Sohi and Cartmell sounded the most concerned about the progress and info that was reported and not reported. City admin could not even answer how many units under construction right now - nothing like being prepared for a fairly obvious question.

The most positive was Stevenson and Paquette with regards to how things are going.

I wonder if this is one of the 90 unit buildings - which isn't an apartment, they are 3 townhome complexes. It's currently been on their website for a little while.

View attachment 556677

But the sign has been up for quite a while with not a single stake in the ground - yet.

View attachment 556678

I don’t think this is the development he was talking about. He said it would be a 4-6 storey. Then again, he said Encore was working on 4 units right now when I know they’ve poured foundations for at least 11 units in the last couple weeks so…

For what it’s worth, Stratosphere mentioned somewhere on their social media in the fall that they would be breaking ground this spring so we’ll see!

For what it's worth this article from 2019 says "Blatchford is designed to house to up to 30,000 people when complete. The aim is to make it a sustainable community with its own geothermal district energy facility." https://globalnews.ca/news/5102112/edmonton-blatchford-townhouse-builders/
The original 2010 vision says this (according to the Blatchford website): “Blatchford will be home to up to 30,000 Edmontonians living, working and learning in a sustainable community that uses 100 percent renewable energy, is carbon neutral, significantly reduces its ecological footprint, and empowers residents to pursue a range of sustainable lifestyle choices.”

Sort of a mixed message - is it home for 30,000 people? Or does the 30,000 include people who work and learn there but live elsewhere?

These points stood out to me as well. There was also a hint that some Housing Accelerator Fund money will be going towards projects in Blatchford. I have found that the Blatchford discussion seems to ignore the 4-6 storey part of the plan. That is what hasn't been started yet and that is what will bring the real density. If they can announce 3-4 of those projects by the end of the year, that's hundreds of units and should hopefully quiet some SFH talk.

One thing that also stood out - Admin pointed out that the plan has always been 30,000 people "living, working and learning" in Blatchford. I have always heard it as 30,000 residents. "Living, working and learning" is very different...
According to DS in order to qualify for funding from the feds new housing initiative the homes cannot be heated by natural gas. Of course this is a no go for her but that does make Blatchford eligible.

According to DS in order to qualify for funding from the feds new housing initiative the homes cannot be heated by natural gas. Of course this is a no go for her but that does make Blatchford eligible.
Councillor Wright also made a half-joke about Blatchford getting all the federal dollars they could before the law officially changes on provincial approval!

Back