The only difference seems to be the 2 lots to be expropriated.

IRBtKPf.png

The only difference seems to be the 2 lots to be expropriated.
Gosh, is that for a new exit from the line 2 platforms? That would be more convenient - I always seem to find myself using the Line 1 platform to get from Hayden to the Line 2 platform. Though looking at the map, I don't know why there simply isn't an exit from the Line 2 platform direct to Bloor St East.

Gosh, is that for a new exit from the line 2 platforms? That would be more convenient - I always seem to find myself using the Line 1 platform to get from Hayden to the Line 2 platform. Though looking at the map, I don't know why there simply isn't an exit from the Line 2 platform direct to Bloor St East.
The pdf report says the 2 lots are for a new alternate station entrance, emergency exit and electrical substation.

Alternate station entrance? The Xerox building contains the Roy Square Exit and is only 100m away.
The existing exit on Hayden? Sure, it's great if you are using Line 1, but if you are using Line 2, you have to use the very congested stairs to the Line 1 platform, and then fight your way down a very crowded platform. (personally I find it's quicker to exit straight to the Line 2 exit on Yonge north of Bloor, and walk down Yonge).

A direct exit from Line 2 to Hayden and/or Bloor E near park would be make getting in and out of Line 2 easier - and reduce congestion inside the station on the Line 1 platforms.

It will be interesting to see more complete plans for the new configuration.

TTC Agenda for June 16th, 2021 is up.

On said agenda, a report seeking authority to acquire the properties needed for this project (Bloor-Yonge Capacity Enhancement).

Authority would include allowance for expropriation, if needed.

Report here: http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Com...ity Improvements - Main Property Acquisit.pdf

From said report:

1623252258126.png

Note possession of properties required for early works........to be in TTC hands by Q1 2022.

1623252312976.png

In respect of 2 Bloor, the big early work is the need to move the chiller system for the entire property:

1623252396177.png

I assume the above indicates that at least some material portion of the complex is intended to remain; since it would seem foolish to do all that work if the entire thing were coming down.

Really hoping "many other enhancements" includes platform doors on Line 1.

It would be extremely surprising if they introduced doors at their busiest and most important station first.

If they're going to be part of Bloor, I'd expect to see them at a station like Highway 407 first to ensure they're reliable.

Reactions: DSC
It would be extremely surprising if they introduced doors at their busiest and most important station first.

If they're going to be part of Bloor, I'd expect to see them at a station like Highway 407 first to ensure they're reliable.
True, although I would say that doesn't prevent them from designing for the doors to be installed here (at least in terms of structural work). By the time this project gets done they could test them along the Spadina extension (those stations were supposedly built to add them later anyway due to them being cut part of the way through the design).

That seems like a very Toronto way of doing this. Platform screen doors have been deployed around the world, I am sure we can figure them out. Bloor Yonge actually needs them.

A couple of items here from the agenda for next week's TTC meeting.

First, cross-posted from TTC Other Items:

View attachment 365262
1637789532387-png.365257

From: https://ttc-cdn.azureedge.net/-/med...45d8e86&hash=51A94294CA337D1BAD1745E0D9B58D9C

Second: From the Major Projects Update Report:

View attachment 365261

Report Link here: https://ttc-cdn.azureedge.net/-/med...2d0f5cd&hash=1C26994335377DC5B2957467C0C53D67
"a northward extension of Line 1 platforms"

Does this mean moving the platforms north, or extending the length of the platforms? If it's the latter, can we maybe expect longer trains in the future? Probably being too hopeful though...

"a northward extension of Line 1 platforms"

Does this mean moving the platforms north, or extending the length of the platforms? If it's the latter, can we maybe expect longer trains in the future? Probably being too hopeful though...
No, I believe it was moving the platforms north to allow for better distribution of passengers - staircases/escalators/elevators evenly spread.

No, I believe it was moving the platforms north to allow for better distribution of passengers - staircases/escalators/elevators evenly spread.
However that would require reconfiguring the Hayden Street exit, which wouldn't be economical to do. Also it says "Expansion", nor "Relocation". When something is "Expanded", that usually means its getting bigger.

Back