News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Is it me or is this ceiling actually very low?

The low point would be the same as it is today; though open, visually to a bit greater height (like Union's platform).

The curvature/wave is suggestive of the opportunity in spots to go just a titch higher than today.

Tell them that; maybe a bit less viscerally, LOL

I'd be careful about just saying 'add colour' you never know what we might get.

But you could suggest any number of changes at this point. The finishes have not actually been ordered at this stage.

As long as what you would like is in the ballpark of the current estimate for finishes, the details can change.

I think there a couple of potential options that retain the current ceiling design, but give those slats some cheerful contrasting colour to the white on the walls.

Another possible option is to mimic the current line one platform with a trim/framing effect of main tile/finish at both the top and the bottom; though to do that well would require different panels from what they are envisioning.

One other suggestion here, maybe involve the BIA; if they see any added advantage in the station reflecting 'mink mile' aesthetic they can both apply pressure, but maybe add a few dollars to the finishes budget as well.

White slats are just begging to get dirty and not be cleaned - and the curvy form felt gratuitous and out of place. Straight open slats would have looked cleaner and more consistent with the general aesthetics - and if they must be creative, use the orientation of the slats as a way to "guide" people to the platform - legs follows where the eyes lead.

AoD

No way it will finish in 2029. Maybe 2035 if we are lucky. Given their track record.
They're not saying that it will be done in 2029.

The completion date of the project is currently listed as early 2031. But the project will be far enough along in 2029 that most of the station - including the new platform for the Kennedy-bound trains - will be open in 2029.

This is no different than Union Station, where work continued for another 18 months after the opening of the new platform.

Dan

“The drawings show no provision for Platform Edge Doors.”

Isn’t this a bit surprising? I didn’t expect them to build any, but not even putting in provisions? Maybe the issue is that the provisions to be put in place vary wildly by type of PSD, and so instead of locking themselves into a single design they’ll leave it as a problem to solve in the future? (If that’s the case - that’s a fine strategy tbh.)
Its crazy that given the price of the project that they aren't just included on the Line 1 platforms. Based on Paris retrofitting them into a much more challenging environment the cost should probably be double digit millions on a what, 1.5 billion dollar project?

Its crazy that given the price of the project that they aren't just included on the Line 1 platforms. Based on Paris retrofitting them into a much more challenging environment the cost should probably be double digit millions on a what, 1.5 billion dollar project?

Its not entirely clear what is and is not in the budget in that regard as yet. I have asked for PEDs in the budget; I got a fuzzy answer that was neither yes nor no.

The cost is subject to tendering, but I'd expect a number for both Line 1 and 2 in the range of 40M at this station, from my talk w/people in the industry.

That's just under 3% of project budget, and well within the contingency.

No real excuse not to do it.

Last edited:

830 CHURCH ST
Ward 11: University-Rosedale

To construct a four-storey service building to support TTC Bloor-Yonge Station and the tunnel infrastructure.

yb.JPG
yb2.JPG
yb3.JPG

Additional info:
- 81 Bloor East (ex Firkin/ Sabai Sabai) will be the site of a new, accessible subway entrance
- the former car wash at 830 Church will be replaced with a future fan building to enhance air circulation at the expanded station

TTC opens community office for upcoming construction at Bloor-Yonge Station

May 18, 2023

On Wed., May 17, TTC Chair Jon Burnside, Vice-Chair Joanne De Laurentiis, and Commissioner Fenton Jagdeo joined TTC CEO Rick Leary and Chief Capital Officer, Gary Downie, to officially open the TTC’s Bloor-Yonge Capacity Improvements Project community office at 25 Hayden St.

The community office provides a place for members of the community to meet with TTC project staff, ask questions, and address concerns related to the upcoming expansion and rehabilitation of the TTC’s Bloor-Yonge Subway Station.

"We are getting on with expanding transit across Toronto including the TTC's Bloor-Yonge Station. All governments have worked together to make this important station expansion possible," said Deputy Mayor Jennifer McKelvie. "This community office is an important step forward in this project and we are committed to working with the local community throughout this construction."

“Bloor-Yonge Station is the TTC’s busiest interchange, and we need to expand this station to prepare to meet future capacity needs,” said TTC Chair Jon Burnside. “This community office is a vital part of the project, as it provides local residents and businesses with easy access to the TTC project team, and a space to maintain dialogue around the construction.”

“The opening of this office marks the first step in important improvements to Bloor-Yonge Station and TTC service through the area,” said TTC CEO Rick Leary. “We know construction can be challenging, and the support of the local community is invaluable to this project. I encourage local residents and businesses to come out, meet the project team, and provide any feedback on this project to the TTC.”

In December 2022, the federal, provincial and municipal governments announced joint funding of up to $1.5 billion for the expansion and rehabilitation of the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC)’s Bloor-Yonge Subway Station.

The funding will allow the TTC to expand and rehabilitate the existing subway station to improve efficiency and capacity and reduce overcrowding during rush hours. Work will include the construction of a second platform on Line 2 for eastbound service, an expansion of the Line 1 northbound and southbound platforms, new elevators, escalators and stairs, and construction of a new accessible entrance and exit on Bloor St. E. Once complete, this project will increase the station’s capacity and accessibility.

The community office is located at 25 Hayden St., directly south of Bloor-Yonge Station. Those who wish to visit are encouraged to book an appointment by emailing blooryongeproject@ttc.ca or calling 416-472-2524.

Additional information on the Bloor-Yonge Capacity Improvements Project can be found at www.ttc.ca/blooryonge.

Wow Leary actually stepped out of his little office for what, the 3rd time this year to make some kind of public appearance? He deserves a medal of honor for the really hard work he did there.

He probably deserves the Order of Canada for such a monumental feat.

Wow Leary actually stepped out of his little office for what, the 3rd time this year to make some kind of public appearance? He deserves a medal of honor for the really hard work he did there.

He probably deserves the Order of Canada for such a monumental feat.
I'm just afraid that he's going to see his shadow, and so we may end up with another 6 years of him.

Dan

Back