What are the odds the PSDs get cut, I am hoping this time is different but do recall they were planned for TYSSE as well. Is there something preventing that here?

I think they're reasonably safe; but anything that is towards fit and finish is vulnerable if the project runs over budget.

PSDs like ceiling finishes and tiles can be deferred to the last 2 years or so, provided you've built in structure that allows them.

Once that project component is tendered, its likely safe.

But that won't come early in the project.

Full-Height PSDs do require that ventilation design specifically address that, so one has to make sure from early on that the rest of the build is going along w/that in mind.

While I'm happy the right decision is being made on PSDs, I am disheartened that it took outside prodding to make what should be the obvious decision when spending over a billion dollars to renovate an interchange station that is highly congested.

Speaking of which, they only speak of PSDs for the Line 1 platforms, but won't Line 2 ATC be complete by the time this project is done? Why not PSDs for both sets of platforms ?

Speaking of which, they only speak of PSDs for the Line 1 platforms, but won't Line 2 ATC be complete by the time this project is done? Why not PSDs for both sets of platforms ?

Not sure if they are fully funded to go ahead for completion by 2030? In any case they are going to be installing the infrastructure to support it at the station, so it's probably just a matter of when the Line 2 ATC happens.

AoD

The commitment for now is to have the Line 2 platforms PSD ready.

Not sure if they are fully funded to go ahead for completion by 2030?

AoD

I posted the cashflow chart in the ATC thread..........let me grab it.

1685697150968-png.482304

It currently shows the Line 2 ATC project cashflowing to ~2032.

But worth noting, the Line 1 project is still wrapping up, so the core network may be in place before cashflows conclude.

The commitment for now is to have the Line 2 platforms PSD ready.

I posted the cashflow chart in the ATC thread..........let me grab it.

1685697150968-png.482304

Yeah but that doesn't really mean much if they haven't actually procured it (nevermind execution) - and you really can't have the PSDs in place before ATC (well you can, but it probably won't be pretty operating it)

AoD

Is this project already funded and happening or are we still deciding its merits? With Ontario Line and GO RER happening, there will be some load off this station but may not be sufficient enough to make the station safe enough. But now the bigger question is not the alternate routes but the hybrid work environment which looks like it is here to stay. If there are 40% fewer people using this station, is it worth spending $1+ billion on this when the same money can provide net new transit elsewhere?

Even if it's still required, I prefer delaying this project by 2 more years and seeing how things are shaping up in terms of commute patterns. Even if we start work on this project today, we wouldn't finish before OL is done and once OL is done, this project becomes slightly less useful than it is now. So why hurry?

Just like most other transit enthusiasts, I am in favour of spending heavily on transit but this one doesn't seem as practical to me. I would rather spend that money extending OL to Sheppard.

Is this project already funded and happening or are we still deciding its merits? With Ontario Line and GO RER happening, there will be some load off this station but may not be sufficient enough to make the station safe enough. But now the bigger question is not the alternate routes but the hybrid work environment which looks like it is here to stay. If there are 40% fewer people using this station, is it worth spending $1+ billion on this when the same money can provide net new transit elsewhere?

Even if it's still required, I prefer delaying this project by 2 more years and seeing how things are shaping up in terms of commute patterns. Even if we start work on this project today, we wouldn't finish before OL is done and once OL is done, this project becomes slightly less useful than it is now. So why hurry?

Just like most other transit enthusiasts, I am in favour of spending heavily on transit but this one doesn't seem as practical to me. I would rather spend that money extending OL to Sheppard.

Fully funded I believe - and I don't believe you will ever be able to pull enough people away from Line 1 given continued densification/extension. Oh, and we are in this situation precisely because we turned down the opportunity to do the same thing back in the late 80s/early 90s.

AoD

Is this project already funded and happening

It is, and preliminary work is already under way. Work to reroute conflicting systems within HBC and other Utility relocations are just revving up, and the buildings for the new exit are Bloor are to be demolished imminently.

or are we still deciding its merits? With Ontario Line and GO RER happening, there will be some load off this station but may not be sufficient enough to make the station safe enough.

In the context of the current environment, the station had emergency overcrowding with police intervening just a few days ago, and it wasn't even in rush hour.

But now the bigger question is not the alternate routes but the hybrid work environment which looks like it is here to stay. If there are 40% fewer people using this station, is it worth spending $1+ billion on this when the same money can provide net new transit elsewhere?

There are not 40% fewer people using this station; peak crowds are off, particularly on Mondays and Fridays, but are very close to pre-pandemic numbers Tues-Thurs.

Work is already underway, the design is complete, the first contracts awarded, the major works contract has not yet been tendered, but its coming, as major work is due to start next year.

The station will likely achieve key landmarks of new capacity before the O/L opens. But it won't be finished.

I don't think that's a wise trade; its not enough money anyways (1.5B will not get you the O/L to Sheppard); and regardless, I don't think any such trade would be considered.

I don't think that's a wise trade; its not enough money anyways (1.5B will not get you the O/L to Sheppard); and regardless, I don't think any such trade would be considered.
I mean it won't enough for that extension but it won't be far from the total cost if the line continues to be elevated.

I mean it won't enough for that extension but it won't be far from the total cost if the line continues to be elevated.

I think you're being a bit optimistic; it will be interesting to see where the O/L contracts finish up at; regardless, I don't think the YB project will be cancelled or the money shifted.

A bit of information about timing, which I think was mostly already in this thread:

"Advanced construction started in May which consisted of the removal of the buildings at 81 Bloor St. E. and 40/42 Hayden St. to construct a new, accessible subway entrance as a part of the larger project.​
The TTC will remove the former carwash at 830 Church St. beside the Toronto Reference Library to build a future fan building to enhance air circulation at the station.​
Advanced utility relocation work on Bloor Street East is scheduled to begin in late Q2 2023. Major construction is planned to begin in 2024 and specific timelines will be confirmed after engineering is completed and a contract is awarded.​
The project is currently at 30 per cent conceptual design or Stage Gate 3, which was approved by the TTC Board in December 2021. The approval established the overall project performance baseline definition for project scope, schedule and cost, as well as determined the best project delivery strategy, adds the release."​

Back