8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

androiduk

Member Bio
Reaction score
I could've sworn there was a Yorkville thread here last week - where did it go!Anyway, does anyone know what's happening with 34 Hazelton, the old Catholic School Board building. This is super prime territory but I can't see them allowing anything too big in there.

Rear addition to 13/15 Prince Arthur. Once finished, they'll have the luxurious view of the back of Museum House & Exhibit Residences.

Attachments

• pafront.jpg
    pafront.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 687
  • parear.jpg
    parear.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 698
A quick look at the progress of the Cumberland entrance to the Bay subway.

Attachments

• sub1.jpg
    sub1.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 715
  • sub2.jpg
    sub2.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 725
From the latest Yorkville Heritage email:

The developer of 34-38 Hazelton Avenue (St Basil’s School Site) has made minor modifications to their proposal that was presented to us last fall but it is still not acceptable:

The new application is for an 8-storey, 38 unit residential condominium building with a 6222 sq. Ft gallery space on the ground floor for a total gross floor area 77,793 sq. Ft altering the historical designated building and addition to the rear and above the existing building, overall height of 33.6 metres or 110.23 Ft and parking for 67 cars in 3 level underground garage.

Please go to pages 16-19 of planning report for proposed development’s architectural elevations

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Link to Planning Report

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2009/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-20286.pdf

Possibly because higher density units bring with them lower income families (relatively speaking). A townhouse on the same street sells just under $2 million.

The school building itself was bought 3 years ago for $6 million so it will be interesting to see what kind of profits, if any, the developer will make - given cost of capital and possible failure for rezoning.

I personally think it should stay in the 4-6 unit category...

Possibly because higher density units bring with them lower income families (relatively speaking).

This is wrong on many, many levels.

High density does not mean lower income.

Also, I highly doubt these units would sell under say, $750,000 which is remarkably more than most families could actually afford.

And that's precisely why I said 'relatively'. A family affording $750k earns less than one affording $2 mil...

I think it's a form of protectionism.

Protection against what?

Are you afraid that a family from the upper or upper middle class going to bring different values into yorkville than someone from the upper upper class?

That's absurd.

?

I'm not afraid of anything. I don't belong to 'Yorkville Heritage', the email was not penned by me and I don't live in the neighbourhood.

If you feel like chatting on the subject why not direct you queries to them at the meeting next week?

And don't shoot the messenger.

http://www.thestar.com/living/restaurants/article/687333

Truffles restaurant closing after 37 years

Aug 27, 2009 01:18 PM
Corey Mintz
Restaurant Critic

Truffles will shave its last tuber a week from tomorrow.

The restaurant that once epitomized luxury dining in Toronto will close its doors for good, the Toronto Four Seasons hotel has confirmed.

"The restaurant has experienced a slowdown in its business not just this year, but for the past several years," says Four Seasons executive Dimitrios Zarikos. "With the last economic downturn, it became just impossible to bear."

In its time, Truffles was a culinary leader, one of the priciest dining destinations in Toronto. It is featured on the resumés of many celebrity chefs, including Jonathan Gushue (Langdon Hall, Cambridge), Patrick Lin (Senses), Lynn Crawford (Four Seasons New York, Iron Chef), Tawfik Shehata (Vertical) and Jason McLeod (Elysian, in Chicago).

"When I was there, it was fantastic," says Philippe Grelet, who cooked at the Four Seasons from 1994 to 2001. "I was so proud of everything we did."

Grelet, executive chef of the CIBC executive dining room, still recalls with absolute clarity individual dishes, including wild boar with sweet potato gnocchi and slow poached capon breast covered in duxelles.

Truffles has been on the second floor of the Four Seasons since 1972, when the hotel opened at Bloor and Avenue Rd. Its signature dish - called black gold - reflected its name.

The dish is an elaborate arrangement of spaghettini surrounded by a sauce of reduced chicken stock, cream and truffle oil, drizzled with veal jus and a foamed truffle sauce and covered in black truffle shavings.

Black gold is no longer on the menu, but current chef Laurie Bandur will make it on request. What does it cost? The restaurant won't say.

The Four Seasons, which is building a new hotel at Bay and Scollard Sts., plans a more casual restaurant for its new location.

Whatever it is, it is unlikely to feature a dish called black gold. That well has run dry.

I spotted this scene a couple weeks ago in Yorkville... it seems to be an over worked businessman craving an exotic escape to the place in the painting.

3964828640_c771dbc79d_o.jpg

I spotted this scene a couple weeks ago in Yorkville... it seems to be an over worked businessman craving an exotic escape to the place in the painting.

3964828640_c771dbc79d_o.jpg

I think that's a Botero isn't it? There's another in Yorkville that they move around occasionally, two plus-sized men with briefcases bumping into each other

Back