News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Just got an email about ‘That Arts Group’s’ new home at 1110 Dupont just east of Dufferin and south of Geary. Looks like they are taking an old gym and redoing floors and ceiling for phase 1. This is just in time for the big population boost that Galleria is going to provide in the Summer as well as all the action further east on Dupont. It is interesting how arts facilities are popping up between Bloor and Eglinton in the West End as the population starts growing again and they get priced out of traditional downtown.

IMG_7856.png

IMG_7854.png

Photo dump of previously unposted pics through the last year or so:

On a side street just south of Bloor near Dovercourt

20220702_135534.jpg
20220702_135543.jpg

Just north of Bloor, a few blocks east of Dufferin

20220709_121949.jpg
20220709_122000.jpg

I've always liked this block on Lansdowne at Wallace. Donna's is also a local gem

20220909_181531.jpg

Some older laneway housing

20220915_182002.jpg
20220915_182010.jpg
20220915_182029.jpg

A new building along Lappin just east of Lansdowne

20230929_182755.jpg

The Mhel restaurant that replaced Orote on Havelock St just south of Bloor

20230929_184404.jpg

Gus Tacos on Bloor a few blocks east of Dufferin which is now open

20230929_184511.jpg

I was involved with this (in an advisory capacity). Please attend the meeting and give feedback!

The presentation panels are posted here under the public consultation tab.

Lots of info in the PDF above, but here's the summary panel:
Screenshot 2024-03-15 at 7.53.50 PM.png

Highlights include contraflow lanes on Emerson and Millicent, a safe cycling connection across Dufferin and east on Hallam to Bartlett, and a one-way eastbound section on Wallace to reduce cut-through traffic.

I was involved with this (in an advisory capacity). Please attend the meeting and give feedback!

The presentation panels are posted here under the public consultation tab.

Lots of info in the PDF above, but here's the summary panel:
View attachment 548578

Highlights include contraflow lanes on Emerson and Millicent, a safe cycling connection across Dufferin and east on Hallam to Bartlett, and a one-way eastbound section on Wallace to reduce cut-through traffic.
- As the only mid-block connection between Dupont and Bloor, I think Wallace should be kept 2-way for its entire length.

- I'd like to see the bike lanes on Hallam continue across Dufferin on Lappin (it's rather obvious). To facilitate this, there needs to be a traffic light installed at Dufferin and Lappin that crucially must be synchronized with the existing one just a touch to the south at Hallam.

- As the only mid-block connection between Dupont and Bloor, I think Wallace should be kept 2-way for its entire length.

- I'd like to see the bike lanes on Hallam continue across Dufferin on Lappin (it's rather obvious). To facilitate this, there needs to be a traffic light installed at Dufferin and Lappin that crucially must be synchronized with the existing one just a touch to the south at Hallam.
Wallace would at least have the contra-flow bike lane section, so would remain 2-way for cycling.

The intention is to keep it 2-way for bikes while reducing cut-through car traffic. Traffic volume is especially bad westbound on Wallace during the evening rush hour, so the intention of the eastbound one-way section was to cut down on that.
Agreed on the need for better infrastructure on Lappin. Apparently there are a few issues with that connection. One, the distance from Hallam to Lappin is too large to have it be a single signalized intersection according to Transportation Services. Even Hallam to Millicent is apparently pushing it. In an ideal world, I'd love to see a short section of cycle track on Dufferin, similar to the one at Dufferin and Florence, but practically there likely isn't enough space with the curb lane being reserved for future RapidTO bus lanes. The other issue is budget. Given limited funding, priority was given to Millicent because the intersection changes are more straightforward. The project team has said that when Lappin comes up for reconstruction in the future, the street should be redesigned according to the city's complete streets policy.

If you'd like to see more done here, definitely share that feedback on the 25th if you're able to make it, or fill out the survey at your convenience!

Last edited:

Back