A new App into the AIC for a portion of the Downsview site:

1652956627233.png

Last edited:
I guess I’ll wait to see more than just these 3 photos but it seems like this is the typical inhuman recent Canadian/Toronto urbanism. It’s like a weird, modern, faux happy go lucky equivalent of old Soviet architecture and planning. They should develop this more like the humber area development, or the newly proposed part of regent park by those British architects. Or just develop a new building code for the area because it’s so big, and go for European style density.

I guess I’ll wait to see more than just these 3 photos but it seems like this is the typical inhuman recent Canadian/Toronto urbanism. It’s like a weird, modern, faux happy go lucky equivalent of old Soviet architecture and planning. They should develop this more like the humber area development, or the newly proposed part of regent park by those British architects. Or just develop a new building code for the area because it’s so big, and go for European style density.
Is this not "European style density" being proposed?

A little disappointing in the density. This is nextdoor to a subway station and a go line, would expect something taller.

We'll have to await the details, but I'm not sure the density is all that low.

It does depend, of course, on what you include in that calculation.

A certain portion of the site is staying industrial/commercial, probably with a mix of light manufacturing and movie-making, those spaces will certainly not be tall for the most part, nor mixed-use (residential)

If you subtract that and the parkland, I think you'll find this to be a reasonably dense proposal.

One can like/dislike the architecture/planning proposed here, that's fair enough; but.....Soviet? I'm assuming you mean 'Commie Blocks'........of which, prior to the recent, tragic war, there were few better examples than Kharkiv in Ukraine.

That being said, I don't see anything in the Northcrest proposal that looks like this:

1658347326092.png

Or

1658347373501.png

The comparison seems inapt.

Last edited:
I feel like the planning process has been very democratic, more involved with the community and promoting more beauty than most large-scale developments in the country imo. I don’t see anything ‘soviet’ style in the way it’s being planned.

I love this so far, the buildings aren't overpowering, the streets look skinny, and it looks like there's loads of greenspace. The main downside I'm seeing is that it's not really connected to transit very well

Back