Boston's 2nd tallest building is underway.

First off, let's get some renderings up for this momentous project (via Pei Cobb Freed):
cam21-plaza_r1_crop.jpg

Belvidere-Dalton-2013-rendering2_FOR-WEB.jpg

rendering_4seasons1_biz.jpg

18616-62761.0.jpeg

Boston-s-tallest-residential-building-by-Pei-Cobb-Freed-Partners-00.jpg

This will be Boston's first "ultra-luxury" development and make Boston one of a handful of cities with two Four Seasons hotels. Prep work is currently underway on site (which currently contains more rigs than you've ever seen in such a small space.) They're drilling caissons all the way to the bedrock, which IIRC is 160-180 feet (48-55m) underground. They hope to start going vertical this year!

Here's a glimpse:

Rebar for one of the caissons:

The word through the grapevine is that underground work (caissons and whatnot) is almost complete. There's certainly less machinery onsite than there used to be.

I really like the 'pinstripes' on this tower as shown in the third rendering above, but in the second rendering they look like nothing more than grey spandrel glass. The quality of the materials will make or break this one.

Reactions: Hub
I really like the 'pinstripes' on this tower as shown in the third rendering above, but in the second rendering they look like nothing more than grey spandrel glass. The quality of the materials will make or break this one.

I do worry about the gray spandrel, but that would only extend about a third of the way up the building- after that point, the pinstripes you see are actually bay windows.

I feel it's in the developer's interest to not cheap out on materials. This building is being marketed as Boston's first "ultra-luxury" development and they'll want to get it right. I look forward to it going up, regardless.

Ramako, I just found a new rendering that shows the transition between the "pinstripes" that I described.

Via Pei Cobb Freed:

boston-luxury-towers4-four-seasons.jpg

Piling work is finishing up. I've heard that excavation has begun!

This tower, which is rising at the end of several narrow streets, will be one heck of an exclamation mark for terminating vistas:

Update from two weeks back - it's at around 110M tall right now.
DSC_6069.JPG
DSC_6893.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_6069.JPG
    DSC_6069.JPG
    191.7 KB · Views: 271
  • DSC_6893.JPG
    DSC_6893.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 283

Back