Bjays92

Member Bio
Reaction score
Yet another Kitchener development. This time shifting to new office space.

This is the third phase of Google's massive breithaupt block redevelopment.

Breithaupt-3-04.jpg
Breithaupt-3-02.jpg
Breithaupt-3-03.jpg
Breithaupt-3-05.jpg

Those are the existing renders and I dont think the final product should be too much different. This development should be top notch quality.

Image from flickr:
20201017_154310.jpg
20201017_154459.jpg
20201017_154818.jpg

Those last photos are just some I took of the first 2 phases in the fall. Both are top notch in quality so I expect nothing less for phase 3

Attachments

• 51167169385_ea5f95850f_c.jpg
    51167169385_ea5f95850f_c.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 134

GOOGLE SISTER COMPANY VERILY SET TO EXPAND TO KITCHENER-WATERLOO

June 18, 2021

Another American tech firm has set its sights on a Canadian expansion. San-Francisco-based medical device company Verily Life Sciences plans to open a new site dedicated to engineering, data science, and product development in Kitchener-Waterloo.

Verily, which is a subsidiary of Google parent company Alphabet, focuses on research and innovation in the healthcare and life sciences sectors.

With the move, Verily is set to become the latest in a series of large United States (US) tech firms that have recently sought to increase their presence in Canada and take advantage of the country’s strong pool of software engineering talent. This list includes MasterClass, which BetaKit reported plans to open a new hub in Kitchener-Waterloo.

According to The Record, Verily will be located at Google’s complex in downtown Kitchener, which is currently undergoing a major expansion. The Record reported that Verily plans to hire 30 to 40 people for its new Kitchener-Waterloo hub. The company intends to recruit for engineering, user experience, research and design, data science, and product management roles.

Since the last update there has been some brick panels installed, the renders at the top of the page are slightly dated, so there are some differences in the podium that can be seen on the built form and updated renders. The tower portion also looks slated to be getting fins and there will be a bridge connecting the complex together:

1625546095985.png

Today the installation began on the pillars that will support the seven stories of office that will cantilever over a pretty cozy POPS. It'll be an impressive design feature on a building of its size. Some of the renders and branding for this tower tease at the pillars being Google themed but as of yet they are white.

Photos are via Perimeter's Instagram stories.

Screenshot_20210706-001636.png
1625545292781.png

For reference with an updated render, this is what the POPS will look like:

1625545949183.png

Last edited:
Since the last update there has been some brick panels installed, the renders at the top of the page are slightly dated, so there are some differences in the podium that can be seen on the built form and updated renders. The tower portion also looks slated to be getting fins and there will be a bridge connecting the complex together:

View attachment 332834

Today the installation began on the pillars that will support the seven stories of office that will cantilever over a pretty cozy POPS. It'll be an impressive design feature on a building of its size. Some of the renders and branding for this tower tease at the pillars being Google themed but as of yet they are white.

Photos are via Perimeter's Instagram stories.

View attachment 332829View attachment 332830

For reference with an updated render, this is what the POPS will look like:

View attachment 332833

Structural Update: Most of the beams are in place, saw it while driving past this evening, the space underneath is really immense even from way back on the road, impressive structural work for such a small building.

This photo isn't mine, I couldn't get a photo on the way by today so this'll have to do, credit to taylortbb for their photo, it gives a great sense of the scale here.

1625811906020.png

Photos taken by me this evening:

Allied is great at pulling through on high quality builds, this is no exception. Both structurally and cladding wise so far while a little simple, it's of great quality.

Once topped out it'll be pretty visible from Central station. I can foresee this little area feeling pretty well equipped and a little futuristic with the GO/Via passing overhead and the LRT below. Victoria needs some work though.

PXL_20210804_231851508.jpg

PXL_20210804_230845062.jpg

This cantilevered space is something you have to see in person to understand the scale. While it won't be enclosed, it's quite a tall incredible space like The One's grand retail space.

PXL_20210804_230957595.jpg

PXL_20210804_231034865.jpg

Windows appearing all along the side, super reflective and clean glazing.

PXL_20210804_231141394.jpg
PXL_20210804_231220322.jpg

Window glass looking great on this! (No surprise though as the rest of the project is stellar as well)

Those support pillars are shaping up to be pretty impressive looking. Reminds me of the ones inside the atrium of Allied's Queen-Richmond Centre, although the difference of course being that they'll be on the exterior of the Kitchener project.

Those support pillars are shaping up to be pretty impressive looking. Reminds me of the ones inside the atrium of Allied's Queen-Richmond Centre, although the difference of course being that they'll be on the exterior of the Kitchener project.

Seemingly only four of the six pillars here are actually structrual, I wonder what made them decide on the two decorative ones.

As seen in this photo (from here) they have started on the floors above the supports, only four pillars clip into the main support structure.

1629225491642.png

...and if peacock tails where made purely for structural reasons they would be pretty dull looking. 😼

Took a nightwalk past a couple sites tonight, so here's some progress photos. I think I get why @condovo takes his photos at night, it's quite peaceful.

To start here's just a shot of Phase One, the google logo shines through the windows at night.

PXL_20210828_005418895.NIGHT.jpg

Onto Phase Three, I'm quite impressed still by the quality of the glazing. The frameless corners here evoke reminders of the ones going in at KING Toronto (Also an Allied partnership). Also seemed some panels on the side were fritted to create a frosted effect (must be an important room haha).

PXL_20210828_005742180.NIGHT.jpg

Windows are appearing under the canopy. Illuminated quite brightly by the Phase Two entrance.

PXL_20210828_005610199.NIGHT.jpg

Just a shot of the bright canopy on Phase Two. The subtle details here really elevate the visual interest. Also just a fan of better illumination standards. After a visit to Montreal, all I can say is Toronto is wayy too dark at night in many places to make night walking feel safe.

PXL_20210828_005716104.NIGHT.jpg

Starting to loose the ability to fit it in frame. The glass is crisp.

PXL_20210828_005653162.NIGHT.jpg

And to close off a shot from earlier in the week looking south towards downtown.

PXL_20210821_212012177.jpg

Back