News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

The city has offered to fund up to half.
So the plan is to spend $109M on a new building ($491k per unit) when the estimated repairs for the existing building were $15M?

How many centuries of "reduced utility costs" will it take to recoup that extra $94M in capital costs?

They could build another 300+ units somewhere else in the city if they just repaired the existing building!!!

So the plan is to spend $109M on a new building ($491k per unit) when the estimated repairs for the existing building were $15M?

How many centuries of "reduced utility costs" will it take to recoup that extra $94M in capital costs?

They could build another 300+ units somewhere else in the city if they just repaired the existing building!!!
My understanding is that figure also includes a number of local pedestrian and road improvements, would love confirmation from someone closer to this

Yeah - I feel there's something missing here in the story, to your point - it wouldn't make sense to cost this much per door if you can really refurbish the existing structure for cheaper.

Triggers a question for the construction and building folks - when would it make sense to tear down a tower like this? Short of a land value play or redevelopment for profit, we don't see a ton of older towers this size coming down very often, here or in other Canadian cities. From a lay-person perspective wouldn't it always be cheaper to just reno the structure and replace, even if it's a total gut of all the systems? Saves you 20 stories of concrete to replace (unless structurally there is an issue that can't be fixed?)

I get the office conversion issue - where the floor plates and building systems don't always allow economic office-to-res conversion, but this is just res-to-new res. What are we missing in the equation here?

I'm wondering the same thing. Maybe they've have factored in long term savings with a new building? The way I understand it, is the new building would be a lot more efficient, even if the existing building was renovated, but could wrong.

I'm wondering the same thing. Maybe they've have factored in long term savings with a new building? The way I understand it, is the new building would be a lot more efficient, even if the existing building was renovated, but could wrong.

My cynical hypothesis is that it is easier to find $109M in government funding for a shiny new energy efficient building than $15M to do deferred maintenance to keep something habitable if basic.

My cynical hypothesis is that it is easier to find $109M in government funding for a shiny new energy efficient building than $15M to do deferred maintenance to keep something habitable if basic.
The hypocrisy of some of these climate initiatives. 🤣

Also, architects and engineers are extremely risk averse and will often recommend starting from a clean slate to avoid the challenges of dealing with existing buildings, and public sector clients often accept these recommendations without challenging them. There's nothing that would prevent the addition of insulation to the existing envelope, adding high efficiency boilers/chillers etc. to improve building performance.

Modernist towers are starting to come down across Canada.. This would be one of the largest. The $15 million is probably the minimum needed to make it habitable. It has a large surface parking lot to develop with a private investor. The tower's position will blocks views of the downtown from new development. I wonder if that has anything to do with the decision to destroy it.

I struggle to believe that this building would be demolished. Perhaps the term 'redevelopment' is being used to refer to the site as whole, meaning a retrofit to the existing structure along with the addition of new buildings. $109M would be enough to build multiple buildings.

Back