39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

MissingMiddle

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Calgary
Anyone know why the rising mortgage rate cost is included in inflation calculations? If we use inflation to set our interest rates, and interest rates determine mortgage rates, that turns the whole thing into a mathematical no-no/positive feedback loop. If I recall correctly, Canada includes it in their CPI and the US doesn't.

Anyone know why the rising mortgage rate cost is included in inflation calculations? If we use inflation to set our interest rates, and interest rates determine mortgage rates, that turns the whole thing into a mathematical no-no/positive feedback loop. If I recall correctly, Canada includes it in their CPI and the US doesn't.
I don't think interest rates factor directly into CPI. Instead, they push up the cost to produce everything, which in turn pushes up CPI. Mortgage rates specifically push up rents as building owners pass on their higher financing costs. For owner occupied properties, CPI includes owner equivalent rent, which is the rental amount that would have to be paid in order to substitute a currently owned house as a rental property. Rising interest rates do create a positive feedback loop, which is why fiscal and monetary stimulus is playing with fire.

The same thing happened in the early to mid 90's inflation uptick.
The early 90s was a very atypical time. Government spending dropped by more than 20% while the economy contracted. Canada was on an economic reform mission that was twice the size of when an average developing country gets an IMF package.

The lessons from there aren't very useful.

The early 90s was a very atypical time. Government spending dropped by more than 20% while the economy contracted. Canada was on an economic reform mission that was twice the size of when an average developing country gets an IMF package.

The lessons from there aren't very useful.
The lessons were very useful - debt doesn't matter until suddenly it does. Too bad they were forgotten so easily. Canada is poised to repeat the 90s and won't be bailed out by a US tech boom, falling interest rates or the Boomers being in their peak earning years.

The lessons were very useful - debt doesn't matter until suddenly it does. Too bad they were forgotten so easily. Canada is poised to repeat the 90s and won't be bailed out by a US tech boom, falling interest rates or the Boomers being in their peak earning years.
Far from that risk today. Anyways. Let’s confine this to the economy thread.
1668745910815.png

That's why Simon Fraser University's brutalist structures actually look good, in comparison with the UofC's which to be honest looked terrible. Not so much the architectural differences in my opinion, but the landscape differences made all the difference.
Does U of C actually have any brutalist buildings?

The original portion of Mac Hall (which is the nicest example of brutalism but has unfortunately been mutilated by additions and renovations), education tower and block, science B, social science tower, science theaters, math sciences, the original portions of ENGG, the old university theater, and arguably a couple others. So there's a few lol.

The original portion of Mac Hall (which is the nicest example of brutalism but has unfortunately been mutilated by additions and renovations), education tower and block, science B, social science tower, science theaters, math sciences, the original portions of ENGG, the old university theater, and arguably a couple others. So there's a few lol.

Are those technically brutalisim? I certainly wouldn't place them within the same genre as the Arthur Erickson buildings in Simon Fraser. U of C's campus just seems like mostly generic late-60s/70s-era precast concrete architecture. My main point being, I think comparing U of C to Simon Fraser is comparing apples and oranges. Simon Fraser looks better because it has better architecture (and more trees too).

Mackimmie Tower (formerly), Social Sciences Tower, Earth Sciences Tower, Mac Hall, Schulich Faculty of Engineering, Haskayne School of Business……..

I'm sure there are others.

Are those technically brutalisim? I certainly wouldn't place them within the same genre as the Arthur Erickson buildings in Simon Fraser. U of C's campus just seems like mostly generic late-60s/70s-era precast concrete architecture. My main point being, I think comparing U of C to Simon Fraser is comparing apples and oranges. Simon Fraser looks better because it has better architecture (and more trees too).
It's still brutalism. Them being not pretty doesn't make them not brutalist, especially considering brutalism is essentially 99% hideous with only a handful of excellent examples (University Hall Lethbridge, Academic Quadrangle SFU, [to a lesser extent] former CBE headquarters, etc)

You bet - look at the similarity in design language between the photos below. Brutalism is all about material expression.

Agreed that SFU is a well executed example of brutalism whereas the U of C buildings are unfortunately not (although there are some nice brutalist interior spaces, the University Theatre being one example).

Mac Hall:
82.009_2.09_001.jpg

SFU:
1618347378648.jpg

Anyways back to the Block on 4th...

Mackimmie Tower (formerly), Social Sciences Tower, Earth Sciences Tower, Mac Hall, Schulich Faculty of Engineering, Haskayne School of Business……..

Okay, I'll admit that most of these are pseudo-Brutalist buildings (or Brutalism-inspired), but I'm putting my foot down when it comes to Haskayne. At least if you're talking about Scurfield Hall. That's definitely closer to 1980s PoMo than 1950s/60s brutalism.

Okay, last post on this topic... but the original Mackimmie block was a beautiful international style design before a very unfortunate recladding in the 70s. 😢

84.005_5.19_001.jpg

vs.
98.127_19.02_001.jpg

Back