8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

3Dementia

Member Bio
Reaction score
I think it's time to bury the urban myth of the "Vancouverizing" of Toronto.

Love them or hate them, (built, soon to be built or hoping they get built) there's nothing in the country that resembles the soaring elegance of ICE, the monolithic Aura, the undulating promise of 1 Bloor East, Massey Square or Market Wharf, the gravity-defying L Tower and Ritz or the soaring boxes of CASA 1/2 and X 1/2.

Eclectic spins on the dreaded "box" like Picasso, Exhibit and E (from the much maligned Bazis), Studio On Richmond, Theatre Park, Chaz, Pier 27 and Tableau certainly don't support the myth.

"Retro" disappointments like Uptown and West HarbourCity are countered by the beautifully executed One St. Thomas and are nonetheless pretty much unique to this city.

Skinny old/new hybrids like One King West and 88 Scott Street may not win any architectural awards, but they are arguably unseen any where else in the country- perhaps unique more for their almost unprecedented height to width ratios than for their design merits.

Entire new neighborhoods like Regent Park and River City/Pan Am (and smaller neighbourhoods like Distillery District and its new towers) will not resemble anything outside of Toronto.

There are many conservative but solid density contributions from projects like Charlie that don't fit this urban myth stereotype.

Mirvish/Gehry (if built, love it or hate it)... well needless to say nothing like this remotely exists in this country.

Even much of Cityplace from Vancouver developer Concord Adex (which definitely gets a "neighborhood" fail at grade from me) doesn't fit the myth: Parade, Luna, Montage and even Matrix are not Vancouver cookie-cutter designs. Design-wise, HVE and West One may resemble "typical" Vancouver condos but their far greater height sets them apart imo.

Sure, there are dozens of buildings that fit the urban myth (many outside the downtown core), but there are plenty of examples that torpedo this urban myth. Even Vancouver is stepping outside their own myth of "bland Vancouverism" with designs like The Twist, Shang Ri La, One Wall etc.

On the office/commercial front, our own pejorative urban myth of "the Toronto box" is over-stated and misguided. Scotia Plaza, the exquisite Royal Bank Plaza and some of the most beautifully executed "boxes" in the world, TD and Commerce Court, call Toronto home. The future: the proliferation of uninspired office boxes south of Front Street (Telus gets a pass from me) are perhaps tempered by the promise/hope for Oxford on Adelaide and the (dream?) of Oxford/Foster on Front with more news to come.

Sure there's way too much spandrel. No argument. But there are so many project designs (built and soon to be built) that are unique to Toronto, I'm voting to bury this myth once and for all. Just a reality check imho.

(cue long list of vancouver-style condos from disgruntled forum members who don't like this type of boosterism):cool:

Last edited:
Bury the myth: Vancouver's Bland Condos

Canada House.jpg

Jameson House.jpg

West Pender Place.jpg

The Erickson.jpg

Cooper's Lookout.jpg

Shangri-La Vancouver.jpg

Shangri-La.jpg

Coal Harbour.jpg

WOODWARD.jpg

vancouver_convention_centre_west_ppr090409_1.jpg

I would say both cities have some exciting projects recently built and coming up that defy their stereotype.

Attachments

• The Erickson.jpg
    The Erickson.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 502
  • Cooper's Lookout.jpg
    Cooper's Lookout.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 458
  • Jameson House.jpg
    Jameson House.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 534
  • Canada House.jpg
    Canada House.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 486
  • ShangriLa-Condos-Vancouver.jpg
    ShangriLa-Condos-Vancouver.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 338
  • Coal Harbour.jpg
    Coal Harbour.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 478
  • Woodward's Building.jpg
    Woodward's Building.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 327
  • Convention Centre.jpg
    Convention Centre.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 333
  • vancouver_convention_centre_west_ppr090409_1.jpg
    vancouver_convention_centre_west_ppr090409_1.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 535
  • WOODWARD.jpg
    WOODWARD.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 489
  • West Pender Place.jpg
    West Pender Place.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 489
  • Shangri-La.jpg
    Shangri-La.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 491
  • Shangri-La Vancouver.jpg
    Shangri-La Vancouver.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 505
Last edited:
Meh, I think people exaggerate the ugliness of Toronto projects in favour of equally ugly or uglier American, European and Chinese buildings. There's this attitude here that seems to reinforce envy of others and constant putting down of Toronto, even to the point of ridiculousness. Plus even when the architecture is good, if any picture of Doha, Dubai or Pudong show (IMO) too much "good" architecture is just as bad as too little sometimes. Especially with glass being the common material, too many eclectic designs actually detract from one other.

Either way my bigger concern is the actual Vancouverization of the market. We're slowly pricing out all but the richest investors and city dwellers while decreasing the size of units to maintain the image of an open and accessible market. I don't mind things being a little expensive but if we aren't careful we will become like Vancouver in our home and condo prices, pricing out all but the richest.

@3D of course you mentioned a few projects, I was just helping readers visualize the many projects I like there, I wasn't doing it to oppose what you were saying - actually I was echoing your comments without the stereotype of either place. The BIG in Vancouver will be fantastic and some of the commercial projects will be pretty nice, too.

@wolfewood - how do you propose to bring prices down?

Meh, I think people exaggerate the ugliness of Toronto projects in favour of equally ugly or uglier American, European and Chinese buildings. There's this attitude here that seems to reinforce envy of others and constant putting down of Toronto, even to the point of ridiculousness. Plus even when the architecture is good, if any picture of Doha, Dubai or Pudong show (IMO) too much "good" architecture is just as bad as too little sometimes. Especially with glass being the common material, too many eclectic designs actually detract from one other.

Either way my bigger concern is the actual Vancouverization of the market. We're slowly pricing out all but the richest investors and city dwellers while decreasing the size of units to maintain the image of an open and accessible market. I don't mind things being a little expensive but if we aren't careful we will become like Vancouver in our home and condo prices, pricing out all but the richest.

"Like."

Back