Votes: 13 15.9%
  • So so

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Not very good

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Terrible

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Speaking of CO-OP, is it intended for the store, and the parking lot, to become a mixed used residential tower in the future?
"Like Saturn, the Revolution devours its children"

Translation - CO-OP is such an attractive development anchor that it will trigger it's own demise one day.

Last edited:
Speaking of CO-OP, is it intended for the store, and the parking lot, to become a mixed used residential tower in the future?
You would think that Co op redeveloping these other stores if they have would also look at the Midtown site. Even if they developed half the parking lot they would still have reasonable parking and they can put a 20 story tower there.

I was thinking about that yesterday. I feel like Vantage Pointe was part of the original development? Either way, it would make sense for them to build a new one on the current parking lot (since I believe there is parking under the surface lot anyways), then demo the current store and put up a tower. It would be nice to block out Vantage Pointe from another vantage point.

Lemme just move some things around...
Untitled-1.jpg

Do you think they would ever convert the twin building to CUBE into residential? The building is on the east end of the block and is identical to the building that was converted into cube. Would be cool to have a second CUBE building and perhaps demo the building in the middle and put up something more substantial.

Lemme just move some things around...
View attachment 348607
Really illustrates the point that we could fit a lot more people in the core if we wanted to and the market requires it. I have always been curious if we' will see an infill like this on a existing site's parking lot or perhaps an overly large setback area from a 1970 or 1980s vintage apartment block. If we could find away to unlock all these remnant parcels there's also the potential of not having to rely on towers all the time for big density boosts.

I was thinking about that yesterday. I feel like Vantage Pointe was part of the original development? Either way, it would make sense for them to build a new one on the current parking lot (since I believe there is parking under the surface lot anyways), then demo the current store and put up a tower. It would be nice to block out Vantage Pointe from another vantage point.
Vantage Pointe and Coop were the same development. There is a parkade (I think only one floor; tbh when I lived in Vantage Pointe I never went down into the parkade below) under the entire Coop parking lot which IIRC includes stalls for Coop staff; there is an access on the Co-op side next to the through lane:
1631559359297.png

So unfortunately I think redevelopment would be a very difficult one. The eastern 2/3 of the site already has a parkade, but it's set up as controlled access for Vantage Pointe (including their small amount office space). You'd have to provide both Coop customer parking and apartment parking on the western 1/3 of the site, so there would be a very deep pit needed. But during that construction, what would happen to the store? The most reasonable phasing I can come up with for this single block that keeps a store open the entire time is:
1). Strengthen columns in the parkade under the surface lot
2). Build a half-size "Coop Express" supermarket on the north-central half of the lot, keeping the south half of surface parking open. (For reference. the existing surface parking is 55K sq ft; so half the lot would be around 25-30K sq ft. The Safeway lot at 8th St is 50K, the Mission Safeway is 40K or so - 25K in front of the store and 15K around the corner; the Kensington surface lot is 20K)
3). Demo the Midtown Market, dig crazy deep pit
4). Build many-story parkade, with coop and residential lobby at ground level
5). Reopen main Midtown Market with underground parking, convert temp supermarket to other retail uses (move Coop Liquor across 11th?)
6). Build apartment tower on top of Coop.
Which would not be a great setup from Coop's perspective for several years, and I don't think makes a lot of sense considering there's a ton of low-density land use in the area, including the crappy strip mall on the north side of 10th Ave.

The parkade for Vantage Point takes most of the parking lot, so I'm very curious what and how any development would work in the future.
I imagine the existing parking garage could be retrofitted to support a grocery store (not much of a structural load compared to 100+ cars already anyways), then expand the parkade by building the new tower where the current grocery store is. I know I’m simplifying things, but there are ways it can be done. The could also possibly secure an exclusive temporary lease with the surface lot across 11th for grocery store shoppers (or Vantage Pointe residents) during construction and slash their condo fees by 50% for a year or something. Lots of options methinks.

Back