I really like the look of the street level on this one, and the fact the a parking lot will be going away. Let's hope this gets built.

I honestly really like the magpie idea. I had relatives from the UK who were fascinated with the magpies when they first visited Calgary. Locals all find them a nuisance but visitors think they're a novelty. Perfect conversational topic for an art piece to encourage

After the last two pages of magpie discussion I feel someone should add a poll - just to triple-check where the SSC brain trust is landing on this one :)

I think we have narrowed the options down to:
A. I like the magpie​
B. I like the magpie, but only if it doesn't block the sidewalk​
C. I like other birds, but not the magpie​

Another choice could be, D: I prefer another bird, but would be happy with the Magpie ;)

Just for the record, I prefer the American Golden finch, simply because of the colors.

So far everyone is good with a statue of a bird 👍 For the record, I'm good with any bird as long as there is some color. The Golfdfinch is very colorful, on the other hand the Magpie is kind of our local bird, like them or not, and the do have some nice colors. Either one is good.

Last edited:

Back