This is one of 4 buildings of this style left apparently. I know of 2 of the others, The Findley Apartments on 1St and 14Ave SW and whatever the one at 129 15 Ave SE is called. Where's the 4th?
1599064162679.png

On 4th Street, and it is already designated https://www.calgary.ca/content/www/...calgary-resources.html.html?dhcResourceId=271

I noticed this site is listed for sale, so it may not be a real development with capital behind it but possibly an attempt to boost property value with an approved DP in place.
Perfect, I forsee this getting the land lift from the approved application, the land being for sale and eventually sold, the buildings being torn down and the site sitting as a gravel fenced lot for years to come. A heritage building lost, more gravel parking lots created for decades. A Calgary story older than time itself. I really don't want this to be the case, but it has been so many times before and the City/land flippers/developers rarely avoid this outcome, and the scars of this are absolutely everywhere in the inner city.

Last edited:
The city should consider buying/expropriate the apartments using funds for affordable housing and then maintain it as such. The other parcels can then be developed around it by a private developer. Win win for the city. Heritage preservation, maintains affordable housing, and multi family development.

Response from the City manager in charge of the development permit. Looks like a plaque will be put in place and the bricks will be re-purposed in the development. I don't understand why the City doesn't agree to some sort of cost share with the developer to re-locate these buildings and houses to an city owned empty lot in the inner city and re-purpose them?

"Thanks for your comments.

The City is focused on achieving the goals of the Calgary Heritage Strategy and Municipal Development Plan. Where sites of historical significance such as the Rossmore Apartment have been identified by Heritage Calgary and placed on the Inventory of Evaluated Historic Resources, the City works with property owners and applicants to provide information and policy support for conservation. The City also offers a variety of grant programs and other community-specific incentives (density bonusing, heritage preservation, heritage density transfer, etc.) to eligible owners willing to legally protect their sites under the Historical Resources Act of Alberta. Unfortunately, the Act does not allow municipalities to prevent the demolition of buildings that are not legally protected or to legally protect a property against the will of the property owner without monetary compensation.

Although listed on the Inventory of Evaluated Historic Resources, the Rossmore Apartment is not legally protected under the Historical Resources Act. The City has advised the applicant and land owner of the conservation incentives available to them should they choose to preserve and protect the historic resource on-site. The applicant undertook extensive research on alternatives to demolition including relocation, adaptive reuse and density bonusing incentives. Ultimately, the applicant has decided to proceed with the proposed application, which includes a commemorative plaque and re-use of the bricks from the Rossmore Apartments to clad the 2nd Street frontage of the new building as a tribute to the existing apartments and maintain a sympathetic relationship through materiality with the Alexandra Terrace to the north.

I would encourage you to continue your advocacy for preservation of historic resources by letting your elected representatives at the municipal and provincial levels know that heritage preservation is important to you and that additional tools are necessary to discourage future demolition and incentivize retention. Of note, you may also be interested in new financial incentives for heritage resource preservation that City Administration is working on and were brought to Council’s standing policy committee on Planning and Urban Development (see item 7.2) and Council this past Monday (see item 7.5)."
" Unfortunately, the Act does not allow municipalities to prevent the demolition of buildings that are not legally protected or to legally protect a property against the will of the property owner without monetary compensation."

Ok, then do it. The city does good things that aren't free all the time, having a cost to protect these higher quality historic buildings isn't a reason not to do it.
Also the cost the city would be responsible for would be just the 'economic loss' of the owner, which they would have to prove of course.

While they're at it they can protect the brick house and the 1907 dog prints as well. I think this may be one of the very last original block faces in the Beltline. The west side of 11th street where Kalamata grocery is would be another, that might be it, and I don't have much hope that it will remain intact for long.

Between 12 and 13 on first street would be another full block of early 20th century survivors.

also agreed, the apartments should be preserved at all costs. F*ck any developer who thinks it’s acceptable to wipe out one of the last few remaining old apartment blocks in this city, especially for a hideous piece of shit proposal like this one.

I'd hesitate to call it a piece of shit, but I agree its a shame that they want to tear it down while there are many other empty lots in the area.

I'm surprised this doesn't have a protecting designation. The problem is that if the owner doesn't see the value in it, the building usually just get's neglected until eventual demolition. Of course it's possible to force their hand, I just wish the property landed in the hands of someone who valued what they had.

I'd hesitate to call it a piece of shit, but I agree its a shame that they want to tear it down while there are many other empty lots in the area.

I'm surprised this doesn't have a protecting designation. The problem is that if the owner doesn't see the value in it, the building usually just get's neglected until eventual demolition. Of course it's possible to force their hand, I just wish the property landed in the hands of someone who valued what they had.
Yeah, unfortunately protecting designation is 100% dependent on the owner asking the city for it. 50% of the historic buildings on Stephen Avenue could be demolished at any time due to no current or previous owners asking for designation.

Thread bump. Did Truman buy this project? Or, is this Ontario broker confused?......
Nice find! I would imagine that they did pick this up then, considering someone had to give the Broker information to post the ad.

Back